Enchanted Weapons have torch like glow

Thebestname

ok, well I am using darker dungeons and LAME, and i can't use my two handed weapons while in a dungeon cause it is pitch black... why doesn't my flaming sword light up my path? if somebody could make a mod to make enchanted swords light up about 1500 units (default for a torch is 700ish, custom made weapons also affected preferable, but not required) I would also like flaming weapons to light up like a standard torch (maybe redder), frost light up blue, and shock is like a more pale blue. Or something like that. I know this might not be possible, but if it is i doubt it would take long to do for a more competent modder than me.

There are plenty of "glowing" weapons available but that's not going to light your way in a dark dungeon.

No one has yet found a way to make weapons emit light.

The game engine simply will not recognize a NiLightingProperty within a Nif in the weapon category.

Any Nif in the lighting category of the CS will not work as a weapon.

I have experimented extensively on this, I have found only one way to make it work but it's a very ugly result.

Edited by heavywaters

There are plenty of "glowing" weapons available but that's not going to light your way in a dark dungeon.

No one has yet found a way to make weapons emit light.

The game engine simply will not recognize a NiLightingProperty within a Nif in the weapon category.

Any Nif in the lighting category of the CS will not work as a weapon.

I have experimented extensively on this, I have found only one way to make it work but it's a very ugly result.

ya, i have been messing with this for a while, atm i am using a blue will o the wisp companion that i modded to have a 75ft radius of light around it.... but I have seen mods to make weapons be able to have passive effects on the characters. If i took one of those would it be possible to do that? Also, can you tell me if you know how if possible i can change the color of a particular light spell or effect. (like a spell that makes red light, but only that spell) because i want to make the will-o-wisp's light to be blueish, and not so strong.

As heavywaters mentioned, while it's possible to make a weapon model visible in the dark, it's not possible to make it illuminate its surroundings.

A few mods have managed to achieve this effect with scripting - basically by moving a light source around to follow the player when the weapon is out. Among them, I think Bluefire Claymore is one of the most comprehensive. You can also search for "Scripted light from a weapon" in the Oblivion Mod Troubleshooting forum for a piece of code that I put up.

As for the colour of the light that various spells emit, I think it may be hardcoded and can't easily be changed, but I'll be frank and say that I haven't fully investigated it yet.

mmkah, well, i think that first i am going to work on the blue will-o-wisp companion, then the light up weapons, as I think that might be easier. What I am gonna try to do is add a modified torch item with no mesh and a light blue light to the will-o-wisp's inventory, aswell as a endless duration, but i think creatures might not be able to equip torches. After two hours of pointless tweaking i will come back to learn that they can't.... brb!

Two questions:

(1) Does a torch illuminate the dungeon if carried - I believe that's a "yes" but it might not be that straightforward, knowing Oblivion.

(2) Can the torch be modified to be a weapon, while still retaining the illumination?

If both of the above are "Yes", then ...

(3) Can a torch be made to look and act like an enchanted two-hand sword, while STILL illuminating stuff, then substituted for the sword?

(2) Can the torch be modified to be a weapon, while still retaining the illumination?

Are you genuinely asking or being sarcastic, because sarcasm can't really be effectively comunicated through the internet... and if you can, then I guess thats what I will do... ^.^

It was a genuine ask - I'm well aware that Oblivion has some real limitations at times, and that was one I'd never thought of before

I'm no expert on meshes, but in the research that I did, I recalled that a torches and weapons have certain flags and nodes that enable them to function as lightsources or weapons. While they can be combined together using a tool like NifSkope, Oblivion will only recognise it as either a weapon or a lightsource.

Indirect evidence suggests that this is correct, given the number of mods that have scripted light, but there is yet to be a mod where the weapon casts light without scripting. If there were a way to do it, I'm sure that someone would have figured it out in the last five years. :)