Steam Overlay Trouble on Non-Steam Version

treesbyty

Since the resent Steam Update, the screenshot uploader, and slight change in UI, I have not been able to access the Game Overlay UI on my retail version of Oblivion. I am unsure why this is. I first suspected it being OBSE but after deleting the files it still doesn't work. I have tried changing the key to something else, Num-Lock, but it still doesn't show. Oblivion is the only game I have that has this issue, my Fallout 3 Retail works fine. My default key for the Overlay, before and after trying Num-Lock, is Scroll Lock.

If you have the retail version of Oblivion, steam should not even be able to see it, let alone make any changes to it, as it should not be in the steam directory.

The retail version should be in it's own folder and isolated from steam entirely. Even a steam update to Oblivion should not do anything to your retail version.

If you have the retail version of Oblivion, steam should not even be able to see it, let alone make any changes to it, as it should not be in the steam directory.

The retail version should be in it's own folder and isolated from steam entirely. Even a steam update to Oblivion should not do anything to your retail version.

I am aware of this. What I ment is: I had it as a Non-Steam Game Shortcut.

The information you've given us is very confusing. You claim to have the retail version of the game. Did you try to run the Steam version update on the retail version??

What I ment is: I had it as a Non-Steam Game Shortcut.
Makes me think you're running the Steam version but starting it from a shortcut pointing elsewhere ... or you're just confusing me.

Clear concise information on the game you have installed (e.g. Oblivion Game of the Year Edition or Oblivion original that was bundled with Bioshock or something equally descriptive) and any updates and patches you have installed (e.g. Official Oblivion patch version 1.2.0416 or Unofficial Oblivion Patch) ... that's what we need before we can start to figure out your problem.

The information you've given us is very confusing.

Okay, I see what you mean and I'll try and make this as clear as possible.

I have a Retail, Game of the Year Edition of Oblivion installed at "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion".

A have it as a Non-Steam Shortcut by using the "Add a Non-Steam game..." Option in the bottom left corner of the Library Tab of the Steam application. Steam refers to these games as a "Non-Steam Mod or Shortcut".

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7850/steamdetail.jpg

Normally, when launching a game (non-Steam or otherwise) through the Steam client, the "Game Overlay UI" is available by using a shortcut key(s), (Default: Shift+Tab) allowing for access to Instant Messaging friends or accessing a web browser without the need to "Alt+Tab" out of the game.

My problem is that the "Game Overlay UI" program (GameOverlayUI.exe) does not start, thus not allowing me to use it.

Until the recent Steam Update (which made a slight UI change with the Steam client, and allowed for Screenshots to be taken and uploaded via the Game Overlay UI.

I have an idea that the problem is caused by OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender), but I have tried removing the obse_loader.exe and it's .dll files associated with it and the "Game Overlay UI" is still not working.

Before you jump to the conclusion that the problem lies with the Steam Update, I do not have this problem with my Retail, Collector's Edition of Fallout 3. Also, several days before the Steam update is when I installed OBSE and did not play Oblivion again through Steam until the day of that Update.

I am sorry if it seems I am treating you people as "stupid" and such, but I am only trying to be clear and not offensive.

Not at all (at least for me). That's exactly what I was after. Having no experience with Steam Overlay (I'm a non-Steam type of guy) I'll be of no help resolving that, but I do understand exactly what you're asking now. I do have a question though. Is there any problem starting your GotY Oblivion using the Bethesda provided game launch menu?

Edit: The other issue that pops out now that I look is the:

C:\Program Files\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion

This is not a problem if you are running Windows XP. If you are running Windows 7 or Vista the Microsoft security feature UAC will give you grief and may be involved in your problem.

Edited by Striker879

I have tried to emphasize this, but it seems you are all ignoring this.

I first suspected it being OBSE but after deleting the files...
I have an idea that the problem is caused by OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender), but I have tried removing the obse_loader.exe and it's .dll files associated with it...

You all also seem to be ignoring this:

Since the resent Steam Update...
Until the recent Steam Update...

Why are you ignoring these and giving me this "help" that can thrown out just by reading this?

I haven't been trying to ignore anything. You say you've uninstalled OBSE and it made no difference. I myself have little experience with OBSE. I use it and haven't had any problems as yet (touch wood). If you've uninstalled something and the problem persists, in my estimation it probably wasn't the problem. My point in asking whether you could launch Oblivion using the Bethesda game launcher was aimed at determining whether or not the Steam update is at the root of your problem. If Oblivion launches fine with the Bethesda launcher but not from your Steam overlay then the problem is rooted with Steam and not Oblivion itself. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear to you, sometimes even old guys like me have trouble getting the whole picture across.

If you look through the various threads here you will see some common recurrent themes. Near the very top of that list is having Oblivion installed in the Program Files directory if you are running either Windows 7 or Vista. It is not a problem if you are running Windows XP. By asking which operating system you are running I was trying to determine whether or not that could be either at the root or contributing to your problem.

It is not always very easy determining the cause of a problem when you can't poke around and look for possibilities yourself. Working through a medium such as this forum, the person trying to help is trying to narrow down a list of possibilities in their head by asking questions and trying to fully understand the answers. That same person is limited by their abilities and experience. Unfortunately there are no magic wands here (at least at this end of my computer). Not all problems will be solved. Knowing that doesn't deter me from trying, but all I can offer is my best shot. If that isn't sufficient for you, just let me know and I'll ignore this thread.

Hint: The help here is free. No one is required to offer it. If you complain that the help you get is not exactly what you wanted. Don't be surprised if that's all you get. Not every problem has a simple 'just do this' type answer. Many actually require you to do the actual work of troubleshooting. And if you don't do what they suggest - and it still doesn't work, then don't blame the ONE person who bothered to try to help. :whistling: