Male centered gaming

Lehcar

What is with so many male characters in video games being put forward as "ladies men" and sexually promiscuous and such? Like why is there so much sexual stuff being pushed on male PC's but not really so much with females? And how come in a lot of stories the male PC ends up having some illegitimate child with some fairly random woman or some such thing? But stuff like that never happens to female PC's, ever... is this some sort of empowering "manly" thing that I obviously could never understand? Yuck... I especially think the "bastard child" thing is a rather cruel thing to put in a story since most of the time they also end up abandoned somehow by Protagonist Dad.

Like in DAO... actually I won't even get into that.

Or in Fallout 2 where the PC has a bastard child with a married woman, or that married woman's daughter who is a hooker and will accuse him of raping her if he refuses sex from her...

Or like in the Assassin's Creed games...

etc, etc, there are more but too many to list.

I don't really get what the deal is with this kind of thing...:wacko:

Edited by Lehcar

originality never sells

sex does sell

women will want that man, and the men will want to be that man

the human psyche is F-BOMBed up

edit: originality does sell, it is just really really hard to sell

Edited by TheCalliton

Unplanned pregnancy and troubled children who grew up without fathers sell too? Ee http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wacko.gif Cruel...

I kinda wish females PC's would get treated more fairly, it seems like the whole world sees them as men except they're not considered attractive or something.

then go get a gaming company to make a huge epic with a girl as the main character

this has been done, you are just refusing to see it

men wish to be sexual, and women want a strong man that they think they can change

(i think this should be in the debate section)

lets play nice, please

here are a few links that should back me up

http://clgamer.com/2010/08/thunderbirds-top-10-female-game-characters/ (not all are main characters)

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/top-5-female-video-game-heroes (yes samus has been sexualized quite a bit, but that is mostly outside the games)

Sometimes I feel like some people go through life on the verge of outright angry, desperately seeking something to enrge them so they can spit bile upon yet another innocent bystander.

Moreover people are all to quick to forget how lucky they are to have been born into this generation.

Lehcar, you wouldnt even have had a say in your life's choices, let alone a job, education, or entertainment had you been born even a hundred years ago, society is changing so quickly it's scary, and it's changing in exactly the way we need it to, IMHO I'd be worried if we were becoming progressive any faster.

Im a man. Mkay? a man. Now, I've gone through my 20 ish years advocating womens rights, gay rights, ethnic rights, social/democrat reform and civil liberties. Gay people hate me. Women hate me. Immigrants hate me. And so does everyone else. Does that change my politics? hell flippin' no! but it does wear me out hearing the same old rhetoric. Your a man so naturaly your a sexist and just like women because of boobies and want us to do your cooking and blah blah blah blah freakin' blah.

If you're going to lump all men into the catergory of men like so many females I've met do, you're every bit as sexist as your concept of what men are, and you're about three times as sexist as little old feminist me.

In gaming terms, look back five years and what do you have? boobies is what you have! back in the days when I started gaming we didnt have any realisation that women gamed too, sure, you had some indie games, some mainstream games, that were plenty feminist-good ol' underloved Beyond God And Evil for one, but for the most part "females" were braindead bimbos in chainmail bikinis that came as standard issue rather than through a voyueristic mod.

Nowadays such styling is almost dead in the west-in Korean games, and many Japanese games, it's very common still, still mainstream, but those cultures both have somewhat diferent ideas about sexuality so Im not going to judge them on that. Be greatful of small mercies, you're unlikely to be forced to play a bikini wearing liberteen strumpet anytime soon.

Now, in the olden days a female character-let's take that chick from Killzone 3 for example-was put in so you could understand why the galaxy had a population and very little else. In Killzone, this girl who's name I cant even remember, was put in the game solely to have a token female character. That aint how things are now. Nowadays they've actualy got voice acting, and often play an integral part of the story. Take Alyx Vance for example-tired old analogy but I think she's exactly the sort of example someone needs to inject.

Yes it's easy to feel like everyone's againt you, but it really isnt, it's just you feeling that way because the only voice you can hear is the redneck minority.