can my cpu handle fcom and beter ccitys at same time and oter mods

darknessxx

I'm an NVIDIA guy myself, so I had to look on AMD's site for info on your video card. There wasn't much info beyond specs for that general series (the 4600 series) so I'm unsure of your cards specifics (e.g. GDDR3 or DDR3 or DDR2 for memory interface). Generally speaking because Oblivion is an older game it doesn't use all the capabilities of a modern computer (or Mac). For instance, the Havok physics engine that Oblivion uses can't run on a GPU. There are some tweaks that can be made but it's not going to use all your hardware's capability like Far Cry 2 or something like that. It's also not a FPS so it doesn't need high frames per second to be playable. That said, mods like some of those you mention will bring your fps down. It's a balancing act between image quality, content quality and playability. There are a number of mods that help in that regard to help balance out those that work to get your fps lower. :biggrin:

Add mods one or two at a time and test in between. Read the mod description pages carefully, looking for all the info you can find around compatibility with other mods and how it will affect your system. Often the Comments page for the mod is your best friend.

Edit: CPU should be good ... you're one speed grade above me, but I don't use BC or FCOM.

Edited by Striker879

I've no experience with Boot Camp (haven't even been on a Mac in 15 years). The more layers you add between your software (Oblivion in this case) and your hardware, the more it will tax the system. Look at it this way ... make a good backup of your Oblivion\Data folder and give it a try. You don't like it, revert back.

My guess would be that you will not be happy with your framerate, lag, and stuttering. No matter how good your system, Oblivion and mods can bring it to its knees.

Nowadays, most people are using computers with faster processors than yours and twice as much memory when they play Oblivion.

As has been said, the only way to find out is to try it and see if you can tolerate whatever your framerate slows to. We aren't trying to be difficult here; it's just that "acceptable" fps seems to mean something different for everyone, so your question is tough to answer.

I have a brand new system I built myself, top of the line, and I run about 300 mods (thanks to Gecko and Bash). I get fps averaging in the 20s outdoors in the wilderness, 60+ indoors and in dungeons, but it can drop to 10 - 20 or sometimes even lower in the IC Marketplace and Anvil harbor, or anywhere else there's a large mass of NPCs and objects. I also get extreme slowdowns whenever I attempt to use the Open Cities feature of Better Cities. I'd dearly love to have Open Skingrad so I can ride my horse through the road and not have to go around the whole city, but toggling that city to open status tends to drop my fps to 10 and lower, which is akin to looking at a slideshow rather than playing a game. Since I can't really upgrade my system (it's already as upgraded as it'll get short of spending another $5k on the absolute latest stuff) the only way I'd be able to use Open Cities is to reduce the number of other intense mods, and it's my choice that I prefer to keep my 300 mods and just deal with the city gates. Your choice might be different, in my situation.

I've also talked to many people who choke and gag at the very idea of fps below 60 at any time for any reason. I respect that opinion, but I guess those folks aren't using too many mods at a time... or they're all Bill Gates. Personally once my fps hits around 25 - 30 I can't even tell when it goes higher. In a perfect world it'd stay over 25, but I can tolerate lower as long as it doesn't drop below 10. Now, I used to play Oblivion on a laptop, again with a whole crowd of mods, and back then I was happy to be able to use Unique Landscapes with an fps of 5 - 8. Guess my standards have risen.

So. Just make a backup of your Data folder, install all the cool mods you want, and check out the framerate. If you can't stand playing at whatever it is, go back to the clean install and try again with fewer mods, or less intense ones.