Armor WIP

AllanOcelot

Hello guys and gals.

Ive been modding fallout new vegas for a while now, and to be honest, its not the game for me.

I enjoy modding it, but I have and always will prefer modding oblivion.

Instead of making mods for the community, Im just making mods that I feel enhance my gameplay, Once they are of a good standard, I shall release them.

I am, however, running into two problems.

The first, a samurai faceplate;

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/shamonking_2006/mask1-1.png

When using this item in game. It crashes. As soon as equpied it crashes.

Please note, I have followed This great tut by hammonds. to the letter.

I have three diffrent models - as tests.

model one - will show up to the right of the players head, and cause graphical glitches when equiped.

model two- is simply the in game object.

model three fits onto the actual face of the npc, but the npc will not equip and it crashes the game upon player equip.

Anyone have a FAQ relating to those issues?

Next. Im making a full suit of samurai armor, but I got put off by the head problem. So until I find a fix ive got another project to keep me busy.

I have made a simple metal chest plate, and made variations to suit diffrent players, e.g - a mage has a mage guilds belt around the armor with little pouches around it. - I would script in an effect of +5 willpower or something later :rolleyes:

The issue im having with this is odd,

I got it working in game perfectly, However, It also replaces the arms of the player - the chest of the player, leaving the effect of a floating armor. :unsure:

Do I also need to export those body parts? Or MUST my armor cover these parts, I doubt it, but want to double check.

Also, as for the belts and such, do I parent them to the armor, or simply rig them to the bones?

Im not a noob, Im working with blender, and im quite happy to be told to read a tutorial. :thumbsup:

AFAIK (and I'm no modder), the chest armor replaces the whole of the top half of the body, hence you need to provide the arms and stuff too. You have to (obviously) assign skin texture to those bits which are exposed or they won't show up, or (possibly more authentic for samauri) a silk cloth texture as a lot of oriental armor had a silk underpiece to help absorb arrow shots. I'm sure if I'm wrong an experienced modder will correct this :)

I belive you are correct markin, and it makes sense to me.

Also, yes, I am going to be making a cloth like mesh for the arms, But I dont want to use other peopels mesh's for any of my work, so everything that is built I can proudly go `I did that, me :D,'.

bad thing is, making clothes is harder (atleast for me) than making a solid bit of armor. :)

I recently bought a ton of books on feudal japan, because of the new shogun total war, and have found myself inlove with the samurai image. I knew of the samurai before, but thoght of them more as a 21st centuary fad....`how cool would it be to be a samurai,' kind of thing.

After reading these books I get a deeper sense of the REAL samurai, and thats what im wanting to show in the finished mod. :)