Oblivion won't load

Lehcar

I have not downloaded any mods recently, but now suddenly after not playing with it for a couple days my Oblivion will not start, it starts but then it just loads a tiny bit, and then it stops and will not load anymore... please help? http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif

I have not downloaded any mods recently, but now suddenly after not playing with it for a couple days my Oblivion will not start, it starts but then it just loads a tiny bit, and then it stops and will not load anymore... please help? http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif

try disabling all your mods and enable them one at a time, cause it could be one of them thats causing it.

What did you change on your computer during those days? Any upgrades to anything else? Changes in your operating system? Changes to your file system? New program installed?

I only installed a few programs that are totally unrelated to Obliivion... my computer was wiped and everything a few weeks ago but it was working when I last played it a few days ago.

I did however install directx 9.0c yesterday, could that be it? :(

The new directx is a Possible as I think it makes changes to some of your video settings.

Try resetting the Oblivion.ini - the one in the users folders (Documents and settings folders in XP)

Not the Oblivion_default.ini one in the game folder.

To reset it, the best way is to rename it to something like oblivion_ini.old That removes it from being seen by the game. Then start the game from the Oblivion Launcher - NOT the OBSE or anything else - you are not going to be playing this time, just regenerating the Oblivion.ini

It will automatically create a new Oblivion.ini based on your hardware, and hopefully the new directx.

If it works, exit the game normally as the new settings will not take effect if you do it any other way. Now, after testing to make sure it works, make any changes to the Oblivion.ini that you use, or use the in game sliders to adjust your video. again, whenever you make changes to any of the in game sliders, you must exit normally or they will not be saved properly to the Oblivion.ini

I too have this problem. Oblivion starts, the splash screen appears, after choosing to proceed it then displays the little irritating movies, the loading screen appears and the red bar quickly fills up. Until there is just a smidgeon left...and there it sits..and sits...and sits.

I have uninstalled twice using REVO, I repaired my Win 7 in case a registry bug existed

I removed oblivion.ini by renaming it

when I reinstalled Oblivion I used a different HDD thats only 2 months old

I downloaded my original installation files from D2D and used them for the new installation

I used OBMM to only run oblivion.esm. with no mods at all

I used to run this just fine in the past but I have installed a new MB (MSI 770T-c35), video card (Nvidia GTX 465) and CPU (AMD Phenom X4 9950).

Oblivion hates me and in a moment of rage I threatened to install the Witcher instead so I could get limbered up for Witcher II.

But I really wanted to run Oblivion with my rebuilt rig so I could finally play at decent frame rates with all menu items set at ultra high.

I know I'm probably missing something simple that is probably staring me in the face but two or more heads are better than one.

-Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by aagar

@ aagar

Are you patching Oblivion up to 1.2.0416? I had a look at Direct2Drive but couldn't determine version info (is your download already patched up?).

Edited by Striker879

So, I'm not the only one.

Played Oblivion on the same load for almost a year, then it just won't load, just as Lehcar describes. I had not loaded any new mods for some time, and no new software - just Windows updates as they come, no new hardware.

I tried earlier saves, disabling mods, resetting the .ini file, ran BOSS, etc., etc., etc; everything I could think of and find on Nexus and other sites - no fix. Wound up uninstalling, making sure it was completely removed, including saved games and any mention of TESIV on the computer. Reinstalled, restarted and played for a while and a few days ago, Oblivion won't load, have exactly the same situation - game starts, click on "continue" starts to load, red bar hits about 50% full and either a full stop and freeze or it CTDs. I don't have as many mods loaded as last time and never had a problem right up to when it failed to load.

Using GOTY, full install, unofficial patchs (TESIV and SI) and supplement, unofficial mods patch, OBMM, OBSE19, COBL 172 on Vista. No Wrye Bash just yet as still playing the vanilla game and just have not looked for the latest version (version I have is old - and I heard there's and updated version).

Would be nice to know whats causing this.

The game is loading now - reset my NVIDIA card to default settings in 3D and disabled the desktop composition in properties. It seems to be video card related(?)

Edited by ffa1mf