Seasons in Cyrodiil

MarkInMKUK

Has anybody toyed with making Cyrodiil seasonal - a proper winter, spring, summer, autumn cycle. Obviously there would be trees to work on, but also plants would become seasonal too, so alchemy would become ...er...more interesting. Then there's a knock-on effect on weather types - and cloud cover at night - maybe even the star map. Not to mention temperature.

And, no, a "leaf fall" mod isn't quite what I'm after - although leaf colour change / genuine fall / bare trees / new leaves IS

It's been toyed with but not on such a grand scale as you mention above.

There is a snow mod where the snow accumulates which results mountains of fresh snow.

There is a mod which cycles trough different night sky & moons pending xx ingame time.

I think why it never been completed is yet again the current engine ingame limitations.

This requires a lot to make it work perfectly.

Perhaps Skyrim will fix it. But I doubt it as its being built for Xbox and ported to the PC.

Consoles don't have nor ever will have the pure processing power of a PC.

Maybe skyrim engine is more flexible as the vid did show snow. Not sure if it was in game or just a vid for the game...

If the snow never thaws, it's even easier than the grass...

Which reminds me - with two honking great big moons - why are there no tides in Cyrodiil...?

Edited by MarkInMKUK

On flora you can harvest there's a section for harvesting rates by the season, but I think most of them are written out as equal due to there not being seasons. I'm not sure if there is an actual season time variable in the game or not.

@Mark on the moon and tides, that was a thought in my head for a while. Waves, tides, hurricanes, etc. due to the engine limitations again it won't happen for oblivion. With Skyrim's new engine I'm expecting a lot can be done with it. So we shall wait and see.

@Guardianl the official trailer is just a vid for the game (Nord? being chased by the dragon)

@Mark on the moon and tides, that was a thought in my head for a while. Waves, tides, hurricanes, etc. due to the engine limitations again it won't happen for oblivion. With Skyrim's new engine I'm expecting a lot can be done with it. So we shall wait and see.

@Guardianl the official trailer is just a vid for the game (Nord? being chased by the dragon)

Hurricanes are possible, just they would be scripted events. Random chance etc could make them randomly occur too, but they'd be initially disabled and enabled, disabled, reenabled, etc... It would really just cause some save game bloat. Tides would require intensive work, although I don't think its possible without running water anyways.

Seasons have been discussed a bit, but it hasn't been done. Maybe could be done by OBSE and replacing the grass textures with autumn textures/winter/summer. (The landscape textures, so they are replaced every 3 months ingame)

Re the question of tides - I don't know whether water level settings for a cell can be altered by a script. Could add a whole new dimension to dungeons if you had to race a rising tide or drown...

The problem with "extreme weather" like hurricanes is the aftermath - how do you save "damaged property"?

It would require too much to make it feasible in oblivion.

And all working at best. I applaud if it would be created but Skyrim around the corner.

And how major this project would be. Brings me to a realistic conclusion not gonna happen...