Better Karma System (Like FNV)

Shadyfan4500

We all know the karma system. First implemented in Fallout 3 by Bethesda, then done away with immediately. Well, I can't be the only one that doesn't really like it, especially when it prevents me from getting good companions. I mean, Jericho is right there from the start and you can't ever get him really, unless you care enough to kill enough or steal enough to get the karma needed. stupid. I much prefer the Reputation system that Obsidian made in Fallout New Vegas. That is my mod request. To go away with the karma system, and welcome back the reputation system. please and thanks. (also, if someone has a good, (i say this but I haven't tested the one that I found) working unlimited companions mod like the one for Fallout New Vegas, could you make that or send me the link if it exists. not that sharing and caring thing, from the comments it feels like that doesn't work. Or if you could tell me that the FNV mod works in FO3 (doubt it tho) then that would also be good.)

- Shadow

actually NV still has the karma system and it does affect which followers you can have. the difference is that they also added a reputation system that helped keep it balanced and over all it was just better implemented in the newer game. also karma has been a part of the series since fallout 1.

Karma was introduced in Fallout 3. They have had the reputation system until 3. (unless they had it in FOBOS, the only Fallout I haven't played) and I know they had Karma in NV but it didn't matter at all. You couldn't even keep track of it, except cross referencing the title of your level with that on the wiki. That was it. I just want a karma system overhaul that pretty much does away with it, and depends more on your conversation skills to get followers.

Karma was introduced in Fallout 3.

wrong.

my proof:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Karma_%28Fallout%29

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Karma_%28Fallout_2%29

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Karma_%28Fallout_Tactics%29

in previous games the karma system was hidden but greatly affected the game.

Edited by qwertyzeldar

okay so I was wrong. It didn't have as much of an effect as it did in Fallout 3, and Bethesda made it annoying. The system was good for the first few playthroughs now I am ready for a better playthrough in the form of a better karma system. One that doesn't exist. That is what this is about, not the karma system in other games.

• 1 month later...

I also would like to see a mod to overhaul karma (and many other things in Fallout 3) to make it more balanced and sensical. Stealing an item should not cause the same loss of karma as murdering someone for example. This was just really terrible game design on the part of Bethesda. Someone who is otherwise a saint and saves lives and does good deeds can become very evil by stealing a bunch of junk items repeatedly. How does that make sense? And a very evil person who murders everyone can become very good by making a bunch of donations. This needs to be overhauled and balanced.

I agree there should be a reputation system for Fallout 3 if it can be done. Even an evil character like Jericho has a great reputation with Megaton, for example. Every major settlement should think differently of you based on your interactions with them like in FNV. Is this something that can be modded into the game and if so how and why hasn't anyone done it? Or have they?

I have begun learning scripting and getting to know the GECK better, so I have started trying to make this mod. Although I haven't even opened the FO3 GECK yet and try to look for the files. I have tried to find the Tag skills so I can also rebalance THAT as well - make it more like Fallout 1 and 2 (skills and Tag skills) but I can't find the files - be it scripts or whatever.

I couldn't replace the Karma system with anything better, nor add a Reputation system at all. Beth has decided that Actor Values shouldn't be messed with and has blocked that off so I can't add a Reputation system without mad hacks. Instead, I did my other request which was to fix the NPC's to not be locked off to certain characters because of Karma. I added speech checks and removed lines, completely deleted anything to do with Karma in the dialogues of recruiting the companions. I think I want to add companion wheels and test the mod - then maybe make a "hardcore" mod that adds hunger sleep and food to the game just like NV and also make followers essential until hardcore is enabled.

You should expect the Karma system overhaul mod sometime next week after I test it and decide if I want to make companion wheels or not - or if I even can. I don't know how to yet so this mod would be a great learning experience. I got mad that I couldn't add the Reputation system but I learned more about the GECK while figuring that out. Making mods is a great experience.