Modding Speculation?

Topazanite

Some of this has been covered on other forums, but I've not seen it covered in detail here -- Do you think Skyrim modding will rely on .nif model files or not? My speculations are below, and I've bolded the important bits if you don't feel like reading.

1. The .nif file format is specific to the NetImmerse/Gamebryo engine. If the engine is entirely new, as insinuated by Bethesda, than all of the third-party tools we use to mod Oblivion and Morrowind models are no good. I'm talking about NifTools/NIfscope, the exporters/importers for 3DSMax and Blender, etc. These are used to make new armor, weapon, and building meshes -- and let's face it, anyone who mods their game is going to add in at least one of those three. Even if you stick to OOO or MMM as your one mod to rule them all, both add new meshes. . .

2. People have been worrying that if new, proprietary model files are used, it might be several months before codes are able to make exporters and tools equal to our current ones. However, Bethesda didn't release .nif exporters and tools for Morrowind/Oblivion because they didn't own the software. Netimmerse/Gamebryo did. If the new engine uses a new model file extension, or something well-known like .obj, than tools and exporters should/might/may be released along with the Creation Kit.

3. So from what I have been able to glean from other people's speculation, people seem to believe that Bethesda's "new engine" is less of a new engine and more an overhaul of the last one. I'm fine with that, as I certainly enjoyed gameplay in Oblivion/Fallout, and whatever improvements they've made look awesome in the trailer (As food for thought, they've promised a great many things that I can't see as possible with the old engine, even with OBSE scripting, i.e., finishing moves; kung-fu knockdown move was attempted in Deadly Reflex, but it never looked/felt right). If the engine is based on the old one, than the .nif format is very likely to still be in use.

4. Looking at the available screenshots, things are looking more detailed -- but subtracting for superior modelling, this might be a mix of better in-game filters and higher resolution textures. I can discern the texture and normal mapping on the player's arm in the trailer, for example. The .nif format is fully capable of rendering Skyrim's demonstrated graphics.

5. However, Bethesda has promoted the ability of the player to edit their player's body shape. Apparently you might play a muscle-bound man, a fat one or a thin one. Armor would have to change shape to fit your chosen body. I'm not sure how the .nif file format would handle this in-game editing capability.

Any thoughts? I'm eager to hear it -- to be honest, I've already started putting together some armor for my planned Skyrim character, and I want to know the likelihood of actually being able to use it. :whistling:

@number 5 editable body shapes, (fat/thin/musclear)

The armor/body could be changed via changing skelton, this can be done on the fly, an example of this is talkietoasters skeletal variations mod http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29853 , so if nif format remains, guessing it would be done this way some how, with obviously a more complex skeleton(s) then its just a matter of the nif being wieghted to the skeleton like they are presently.

Also bet what ever method is used if boobies aint scalable by default, someone will make it oissible, which at least will reduce the posts for "can you pls lrealse this is XXXHHHHZZZ uber sized cup?" requests :P

Oh hay, that mod didn't even register for me. :happy:

I really do think that .nifs will still be used. Bethesda just doesn't have the capability to make it's own engine from scratch, and it does (probably??? I don't know for a fact) have the rights to modify the Gamebryo engine it's using. I'm not saying the engine will be recognizable as such, depending on how much they modify it, but still.

Regarding uber boob size requests, keeping .nifs means for at LEAST the first few several months, no one is going to mod new armor, and they'll just transfer old skanky Oblvion armor stuff over. :wallbash: I don't usually mind the unrealistic bikini armors, but I can discern between a tasteful and a skanky uber-boob bikini armor. Guess which ones will get transferred first? :confused:

Im sure Beth have the ability to make theer own engine most devs can make there own engine, just a lot tend to stick with UT ect ect because they can liscence itwhich means a well known stable engine that does not need exra time to develope with good dev support ect. With there rescent aquisition of ID software if they were having trouble, sure they could ask for a few tips.

Regarding armor, Im sure that will be the case if someone can port, hopefully the base armor are good enough to make nice personlise edits ( the armor in the trailer certainly looks like there on the right tracks, least IMO).

• 3 weeks later...
I'm confident that if Bethesda has created their own file format that they will provide a conversion tool. I can't see them intentionally setting back modding unless it can't be avoided.

Considering that the skyrim engine is a new engine rather than a modified gamebryo (like Oblivion and Morrowind were) the .NIF file is unlikely to be used since it is owned by Gamebryo unless Gamebryo is making this new engine as well but i believe I read somewhere else that they weren't unfortunately I can't recall. If beth doesn't own the .nif file formatting software and such they can't build their engine to use it legally I believe. Don't hold me to that but from my limited understanding that's how it works.

It would be hilarious if they used a new file that .nifs couldn't be changed into. The reason being because nothing from Oblivion could be ported over :P

I don't quite see how that would even be possible, or in any way funny.

Or is it funny in a "Ha ha! Your modding is ruined!" kind of way? Because I don't find that sort of thing funny.