Skyrim on Laptop

GamerSam32

Hello guys and sorry if my english is bad (not my mother language).

So I have and HP Envy-15t laptop which runs vanilla Skyrim quite smooth on setting between high-ultra which is awesome :laugh:. However, sometimes when i browse the nexus for new mods i find ENBs that are really awesome (e.g RealVision etc)

but they drop my framerate to 20 FPS when on high settings. so are there any textures/graphical mods which make them look like these ENBs but do not have that large performance hit while on high settings?

My specs are:

nVidia Geforce GTX850M 4GB DDR3

Intel core i7-5500U @ 2.40GHz

8GB Ram

I hope these are enough :smile:.

P.S: Please no one tell me to try Cinemaskope ENB since i hate it.

Peace

I find that to be strange, my current laptop is really cheap because I sold my old one and I'm waiting for my PC parts. It has just 4 GB of ECC RAM and a 1.8 Ghz i5 processor. I have (or had until my TESV got messed up) over 140 mods. I used to use ENB but they brought my framerate down to 40 FPs (I'm an FPs freak, 50+ or nothing, despite my hundreds of mods). I switches to Imaginator, it's just like an ENB but you can edit it ingame with SkyUI easily, watch a few tutorials and it'll work even better. I recommend using realistic lighting overhaul, lamps of skyrim and enhanced indoor lights with it.

Imginator: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13049/?

Hope I helped :)

I find that to be strange, my current laptop is really cheap because I sold my old one and I'm waiting for my PC parts. It has just 4 GB of ECC RAM and a 1.8 Ghz i5 processor. I have (or had until my TESV got messed up) over 140 mods. I used to use ENB but they brought my framerate down to 40 FPs (I'm an FPs freak, 50+ or nothing, despite my hundreds of mods). I switches to Imaginator, it's just like an ENB but you can edit it ingame with SkyUI easily, watch a few tutorials and it'll work even better. I recommend using realistic lighting overhaul, lamps of skyrim and enhanced indoor lights with it.

Hope I helped :smile:

Thanks man I downloaded it now and its really cool :laugh: How did i not see it before lol

I'm using Imaginator on my ancient Dell M6400 and it really does make Skyrim 'pop'. However, one problem remains. The godawful shadows. I've done some major tweaking and gotten them so that they're barely tolerable. Is there anything else that can be done to improve the shadows, aside from an ENB?

Edited by jhelzei

I'm using Imaginator on my ancient Dell M6400 and it really does make Skyrim 'pop'. However, one problem remains. The godawful shadows. I've done some major tweaking and gotten them so that they're barely tolerable. Is there anything else that can be done to improve the shadows, aside from an ENB?

I know! But I figured out a really easy way to make the shadows go away.

1. Set up your stuff on Imaginator, whatever you like, I like to have pop shoot at 0.2 and Pixar at 0.1.

2. Turn the sunlight up, I keep it at 7. This keeps the shadows away but makes the floor reflect too much light.

3. Turn the saturation down, I kept it at 7, this gives it a very pleasant, realistic color, without hurting your eyes and making you lose too much color.

Hope it works out for you too.

@LivingSamosa I found an even better way to do it. I disabled shadows entirely. I went from 20 fps in the Arch-Mage's Quarters to 36 fps. It does reduce immersion, but not the way those super-ugly shadows do. On my desktop, I'll continue to use an ENB, but this a great way to get some more life out of my laptop. Here are the settings I had to change in skyrimprefs.ini

fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000

fShadowDistance=0.0000

​iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=1024

iShadowMapResolution=1024

Changing the resolution was necessary I was only seeing a 4 fps improvement when just dropping the distance. Changing the shadow resolutions down to 1024 (from 4096) got me the other 12 fps. The FPS improvement outdoors is not as noticeable as indoors.

Edited by jhelzei

Thanks for all the info. I have the same laptop as OP and sometimes it just gets so hot running the game at the specs I prefer that I have to quit and shut it down for a few minutes. Edited by eternal8song