Help!

xpanpanx

Well, it all started when I decided to read a tutorial on how to make a simple companion mod. I've never tried to create my own mod before, so TES Construction Set was pretty new to me. I followed all the instructions on a step-by-step guide and thought I had done everything correctly. However, when I activated my mod, loaded oblivion and tried to travel to the location where I placed my companion (Imperial Market District), Oblivion crashed before I could reach it :/ I tried re-loading and traveling to the location again and again, no luck... Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Your question is in a perfectly appropriate section.

Regarding your mod, try using CM Partners, and read the documentation on creating a new partner.

Thanks guys. I've downloaded CM Partner's not to sure about what specific data files I need to check for the mod to take effect, but other than that no change. Do you think it was perhaps and error I made with the actual creation of my companion mod? I could have sworn I followed all the steps right lol...

P.S - Sorry if this topic is in the wrong section, I've never created a topic before and was in serious need of help XD

When you create a new partner, you need to select Oblivion.esm and CM Partners.esm and nothing else, and don't set anything as active mod. Follow the instructions in the documentation about creating a copy from one of the included NPCs and edit/place etc. Once done, select save and create a new esp of your partner. Now activate it and check it.

I will repeat: do NOT check any other mod when you load the Construction Set.

But I want to use a modded race for my companion and modded armor :/ I managed to get close enough to my companion to be able to see him before... he was invisible and so was his armor XD I am using Wolven Anthros Race Mod by the way:)

You cannot create a "simple companion" from another race mod and another armour mod that do not include the correct resources. A race mod is a race mod; a companion mod is a companion mod; an armour mod is an armour mod. Of course, it can be done, but is far more involved than just loading up a couple of plugins and expecting it to work, and beyond the scope of a troubleshooting forum. If you read the CM Partners tutorial (notice that CM Partners comes with a master file (esm)) you should get some idea of why.

If you want to create CM Partners companions that use a custom race you will need to either

a.) convert the custom race into a master file

or

b.) copy the race data into the plugin file that will contain your companion.

Feel free to look at some of my work for examples.