safety on the nexus

TheCalliton

greetings nexus-ians

i have seen reports of viruses on the nexus itself. I have been intending to get back into oblivion, but with such reports i don't feel safe going there. I want to get mods (who doesn't) but i have sub par virus protection.

and don;t go off at me about virus protection, because my dad (the networking guy) hasn't bothered to help me get set up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those reports where mostly about people who uploaded files that contained a virus of sorts. I have downloaded plenty mods recently and I have not encountered any problems regarding viruses. I advise you to install some protection on that PC of yours or you'll be getting a lot more than a simple virus and it won't be Nexus fault. :thumbsup:

Believe it or not, the Microsoft FREE antivirus got a top grade this year. Available here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It was rated as one of the easiest to install, easiest to use and least intrusive in the class of Free antivirus products.

I use the free version of Comodo Internet Security - a combination antivirus, antispyware and firewall. It's considered more of a geek product and needs some work to get working the way you want it to.

That one and a bunch more are available here: http://majorgeeks.com

Just be sure to read the info to be sure what you get is actually free and not trialware, shareware or for pay.

Many of the free ones will try to get you to pay for their pay version with advertising every time you update the database.

Me and LHammonds have written down the Free AntiVirus' we know about and have tried on the Nexus Wiki. :)

But I would actually suggest Microsoft Security Essentials if you want the most light-weight AntiVirus out there. (Which also works well of course.)

But if you want a little more heavy, but not intrusive AntiVirus, I'd suggest AVG Free.

Another plug for MSE here...

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is highly recommended by me (an IT Security Professional) to all of my family (spouse, children, parents, brothers, friends, etc.)

I can talk them through the steps to uninstall their current product (if they have one) and get this one in-place over the phone without even seeing a screen!. :thumbsup:

As mentioned earlier, top-rated in head-to-head testing recently (ZDNet, I believe is where I saw the story. Would have to dig around to find it.) And essentially NO further user interaction needed. No "subscription" to expire, updates are handled automagically (well, as "magically" as any Windows update ever is.) And no confusing configuration options, just a few basics set the first time.

And all this at my favourite price... FREE. :laugh:

thanks everyone

if my net allows (really damn slow) i shall install a few of the ones reccomended.

Please don't install "a few". They may well conflict with each other.

Pick ONE, and go with that! :thumbsup: