Sunset Sarsaparilla's Wild Wild West World

devinpatterson

Here are some pics of the location for this first chapter in the sunset mods.

Pipboy & Geck map;

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1484/location3.jpg

1. is fields shack

2. is the Robco office building, it is just east of the mole rat ranch. And in the lot just to the right of it will probably be the RobCo manufacturing plant.

3. East of the 3 is Nellis

Somewhere in the green box is where we can put the location to the sewers, the diner, gift shop, gas station. More on that below.

A basic layout/story board for the first mod/chapter in the sunset valley story;

For details on the Robco office see post #373 I won't go into it much on this post, just list a few items I'v thought of since then; There will be a Ralphie the eyebot display in the office lobby. It will have a prop from the actual movie. If ED-E is along he will become overly excited and do his little dance. Where upon the player will have to inform him this isn't the real Ralphie and ED-E will be sad...he may still want to take the prop along (possibly to be fixed/activated/repaired) etc.

TrooperScooperMKII can share any details on the manufacturing plant that he wants public.

So I was thinking after adventuring in the robco buildings the player will have info (notes like shipping invoices, as well as terminal entries), that lead to the location of sunset park. This is a change from the location (sewer entrance) being right in front of the area 51 gate. It's not written in stone, but it makes more sense than having the park nestled against a high security military base.

As you follow up the freeway toward the park entrance (somewhere in the green box above) the player will face a small ncr check point (sandbags, couple of light machine guns). The ncr troopers (just a handful) will inform the player that there is a large viper gang a ways north, living in a junk/garbage/auto fort on top the freeway segments. This outpost although small is fairly well defended and the light machine guns keep the vipers from trying to overrun the checkpoint. The ncr troopers may mention that there is a reward for removing the vipers as not only are they criminals they are also disrupting some caravans (extortion of tolls etc). The vipers moved in somewhat recently, but there are a lot of them. Charging a toll of incoming caravans has netted them a fair amount of caps and they aren't planning on leaving anytime soon. The NCR is having a difficult time getting rid of them due to their strategic advantage. If the player has a positive rep with the ncr and a high speech skill a trooper will reveal that the NCR has decided to wait and bomb them with a vertibird as soon as it is available (none of the troopers knows when/if that will happen) or reassign some veteran rangers to a special task force (when available). I'm doing this in part because I miss the freeway overpass battles and car forts from fallout 3. Since the collision meshes on overpasses are missing in NV don't get any of that action.

Somewhere near this point the player will detect a new radio signal, it is a mechanical voice stating "officer needs assistance", calling for backup etc (COP-30).

There will also be a few of the sunset flora/fauna, (for example a gila gecko) at ground level in this area.

The player will come to a collapsed overpass and here will be the sunset buildings that were outside the park proper, (ie places that you didn't have to get a ticket/pay a fee to enjoy) nestled in the collapsed mouth of a valley. There will be a sunset themed 50's diner, a giftshop, a gas station, perhaps other buildings. The actual entrance to the park/valley has been closed off completely, covered in rubble/fallen boulders and the rubble has damaged some of the buildings. Some of the overpass has fallen as well.

This little area is run by an older gentleman and (up until recently) his daughter. They did a pretty good business selling rare delicacies like gila gecko steak, honey mesquite sunset sarsaparilla, etc to caravans coming through this route.

When the vipers moved in he (lets call him Jones) refused to leave all of this. He re-activated a protectron police officer to protect him and his daughter, hoping the NCR would be able to take care of the threat quickly. However as capable as COP-30 (the protectron police officer) was his daughter has just been kidnapped by the vipers. COP-30 can't leave Jones unprotected to retrieve her and Jones won't leave her to head into NV to safety and/or help. The viper gang wants 2000 caps for the daughter (although once they receive the 2000 caps they will ask for more), which Jones doesn't have, and they are getting restless. Jones can offer some of his stock, unique campfire/sunset recipes, his thanks, info on location to the sewer entrance (to the park) and COP-30. This last part, by the way may be a lie. Jones did re-activate COP-30 but did not reprogram him and as such he is still under the jurisdiction and programming of the LVMPD (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department).

Vipers: It will be possible to sneak along under the overpass without being detected if the player is stealthy. There are chains on top the overpass that can be dropped for the vipers to get to ground level (they can also be used by the player to get to the top of the overpass) or they may just snipe at the player. Jones will also know of a way up if the stealth option is chosen (maybe a trail to a near by cliff or a maintenance ladder on one of the columns) At some point the player will get to the top of overpass and here is where things go from bad to worse. A vertibird will be heard in the distance and soon a bombing run will start. The player needs to make his way through the vipers retrieve the daughter and get off the overpass as soon as possible or face a carpet bombing (not impossible to survive, but unlikely...and even more unlikely for hte hostage).

Upon returning the hostage the player can collect his reward, including a key (currently hidden) to unlock a location (diner basement?) to enter the sewer. COP-30 will be suitably impressed by the rescue and may be recruited by explaining the LVMPD no longer exists (speech check/charisma). I'm not sure if the sewers will be packaged with this first mod or be packaged with the 2nd which will include the villa.

the diner will be plastered with sunset memorabilia including a custom jukebox. The giftshop is mostly empty (all the good stuff looted), but there will be empty boxes that will foreshadow items that will be available in the park. Havn't given much thought to the gas station, but I do want to add a fair amount of flamer fuel to the tanks (it will come in handy later in the story).

Viper gang; havn't thought a whole lot about them yet. There should be a lot of caravan goods, but it's unlikely they will be recovered (because of the bombing). They will be tough and a lot of them, but I'll probably make a level list to match them to the player. A few will have sniper/hunting rifles, and some (say 1 or 2) of the hunting rifles will be from sunset park (re-textures, semi-unique in that there are more than one, but they are better than the vanilla hunting rifles).

COP-30; COP (community operations protectron) 37 has a uniform (police hat, badge, duty belt, pants and a LVMPD armored vest) and equipment (police baton, dead money police pistol). His ballistic vest gives him a bonus of +15 DT (much like Joshua Graham's armored SLCPD vest) for a total of 23 (better than T-45d power armor). His police pistol gives him a higher than normal chance of criticals. He will not follow any player with negative karma. He is constantly quoting regulations and other police jargon (ie "assaulting a peace officer is felony", "officer needs assistance when low in health", etc). There may be an easter egg in ref to c3-po since their call signs/names are similar.

Jones; a tough SOB, but getting on in years (late 40's early 50's?). He is actually a enclave deserter, he left seeking a better life for his daughter. It's possible that a high int or speech check may reveal clues to his origin in re: to the protectron re-activation.

Daughter; havn't really thought much about her, say she's in her 20's or 30's.

There may be a protectron cook.

So any additional details/ideas/feedback about the Robco buildings, sunset buildings or characters listed above would be appreciated. ETA is hard to estimate, but all resources except for the collision meshes on the overpasses and COP-30 are done, so it may be relatively soon(ish).

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Jonas should be in his early 50's. And his father should be in her 20's .

Sorry do you mean daughter?

About the viper overpass is someone already making it?

Not as of yet. It should be pretty easy once the collison mesh is made, just dropping junk/trash town stuff and a few viper leveled lists.

and if i think that there should be like a tent or some sandbag walls around the way up to overpass.

Sure if the vipers are aware of the way up, sandbags, rusted cars and other trash will be there as cover. I'm unsure about the way up. I thought maybe a grate hidden near a leaning freeway overpass segment. Or we could use use chains/ropes and makeshift/jury rigged gas powered elevator. It would explain why the NCR hasn't sent in troops yet (to difficult to get on top). The chains/ropes and a non-animated elevator would be easy (initially disabled, all activators). The problem with them is they would only be dropped from above when the Vipers are coming down, most of the time they will be up topside.

On the other hand the sewer pipe and grate could be good too with creature encounters. The grate could be locked from inside, where the vipers can't pick it, (and being filled with critters) it explains why it's not too heavily guarded. Maybe both?

Everything else i like :) but i think we should have some ester egg's from fallout 3 ( or some other fallout game ) or some other game we like.

Interesting, what did you have in mind?

I think that Jonas should be in his early 50's. And his father should be in her 20's .

Not as of yet. It should be pretty easy once the collison mesh is made, just dropping junk/trash town stuff and a few viper leveled lists.

and if i think that there should be like a tent or some sandbag walls around the way up to overpass.

Sure if the vipers are aware of the way up, sandbags, rusted cars and other trash will be there as cover. I'm unsure about the way up. I thought maybe a grate hidden near a leaning freeway overpass segment. Or we could use use chains/ropes and makeshift/jury rigged gas powered elevator. It would explain why the NCR hasn't sent in troops yet (to difficult to get on top). The chains/ropes and a non-animated elevator would be easy (initially disabled, all activators). The problem with them is they would only be dropped from above when the Vipers are coming down, most of the time they will be up topside.

On the other hand the sewer pipe and grate could be good too with creature encounters. The grate could be locked from inside, where the vipers can't pick it, (and being filled with critters) it explains why it's not too heavily guarded. Maybe both?

Everything else i like :) but i think we should have some ester egg's from fallout 3 ( or some other fallout game ) or some other game we like.

Haha ya i meant his daughter not his father lol :P

Diden't quit understand the last part there?

Well seance i haven't played any other fallout game then 3 and NV i can say much about the other fallout games but i can take a look and see if i find anything that could link to fallout 3.

What other games do you guys like? if we find a game we all like we can take things to use as ester egg's from there :)

I like: Portal 1 & 2 , Battlefield series , Minecraft , Metro 2033 , Call of duty world at war , R.U.S.E , Age of empires 3 , Dead island , Left 4 dead 1 & 2 . Thees are the ones i can think of right now.

Well seance i haven't played any other fallout game then 3 and NV i can say much about the other fallout games but i can take a look and see if i find anything that could link to fallout 3.

What other games do you guys like? if we find a game we all like we can take things to use as ester egg's from there :)

I like: Portal 1 & 2 , Battlefield series , Minecraft , Metro 2033 , Call of duty world at war , R.U.S.E , Age of empires 3 , Dead island , Left 4 dead 1 & 2 . Thees are the ones i can think of right now.

Could you quote the part you didn't understand?

Yeah some good ones, enjoyed left for dead, portal, metro 2033. Just finished rage really enjoyed it.

Could you quote the part you didn't understand?

Yeah some good ones, enjoyed left for dead, portal, metro 2033. Just finished rage really enjoyed it.

Sure,

Ya nice :)

This is the part i don't really understand.

Just wondering, where did you say the viper camp was?, i had an idea that they camped up on a plateau, with a small town on it(it was there before the war) and the vipers have elite snipers, killing caravans travelling through "their land", causing the ncr problems. Just throughinh that idea out there.

Tried out the Sunset valley worldspace, do I need any of the custom models/etc...

Sorry for the late repsonse, got a cold or flu nipping at my heals. Re: sunset valley worldspace it's really just a parent for the mini-worlds, a place to mini-world children like the villa, reactor, mainstreet etc.

RE the factory, could you me the office esp so I can build around it, or do you want me to just wing it?

I'll throw up the most current on (it's 18) on the private board for you as soon as I cut off pieces of the protectron (say tonight or tomorrow evening). I don't really have all the assets together, they are scattered in my data directory for nifskope and game testing. But I'll put up the esp (which is small) and then try to gather the assets (probably on the scale of 50MB or more) for UL soon(ish). But you can also just do the interior levels and you don't have to bother with the exterior placement (other than just making sure hte exterior looks big enough to hold the interior), if you want. Your call. The Robco facility in WA is a good base to start with. You can see the exterior in geck and the interior levels if you don't want to mess with a custom base.