Better combat mods. any recommendations?

topeira

hi guys.

i have never modded oblivion ( a crime. i know) and now im giving it a try after 3 years i havent touched the game.

i also didnt get very far in it even when i played it a long while back.

what im looking for are mods that improve combat mechanics.

i know of deadly reflexes but that mod seems to only be about gore and decapitation. not what im looking for.

i'll try and explain what's bothering me in the combat and maybe u can point me in the direction of mods that might address some of my gripes.

1) characters that get hit dont react to being hit. the dont stagger. the dont show any physical damage by recoiling. i know the animation exists but its rarely applied.

2) no need to time the blocks. one can just hold block and its has no disadvantages to pressing block as the enemy attack.

3) animations are not very good. in general the lack of animation to running diagonally in really hurting it.

4) is there a reward for doing the more powerful attacks by adding directions along with holding block?

i'd love if veterans of OB modding can help me find mods that make combat more fun, immersive and engaging.

thanks, everyone.

Deadly reflex comes with new power attack animations and several coup de grace animations, and has a timed block plugin as well.

If you don't like the ultragore you can set the critical hit chance to 0 in the ini, which should disable most all the dismemberment.

I think unnecessary violence 2 is being worked on as well.

Oh, and the reason you usually hold block while doing power attacks is so that you don't go running off while holding the direction key, which would make you whiff completely.

Edited by whalecakes

Another option is fore's NoMaam BBB Animation Replacer. If you don't want the BBB you won't have any unless you've installed the BBB skeleton and armors. Look at the videos on the download page and you'll see the stagger you're after. It's easy to get up and running using the manual install copy/paste method.

No it does add stagger and some power attack animation changes as well. The BBB is just extra fluff, but like I said is only there if you have the skeleton and modded armor/clothes.

Edit: See my post #14 for clarification of my errors in this post.

Edited by Striker879

I am looking at it right now and the file consists entirely of animations, so it is impossible for it to have any effect on the frequency of staggers or the effects of power attacks or any other aspect of combat.

It is exactly as I said, a copy of the vanilla animations with breast movement added.

You'll need to install it to see the extent of fore's changes to vanilla. I actually doubt that he's even used the vanilla animations as a starting point, but I'm no animator. I'm sure fore will eventually stumble across this thread and clarify.

Edited by Striker879

In order to change the way combat works, you need to modify game settings or add scripts.

You cannot control game settings through animation files. You cannot add scripts through animation files.

The NoMaam mod consists entirely of animation files.

Thus, the NoMaam mod cannot possibly change the way combat works.

I do not know how to make it any clearer than this.

No I didn't mean 'how combat works' ... I only meant how combat looks. The NoMaaM animations only change what you see when you perform the vanilla Oblivion combat moves, but they are more than just 'bouncy boobs' added to the vanilla animations. If you watch the vanilla hand to hand or one handed weapon strikes, blocks and staggers for instance, then compare to the same moves using NoMaaM you will see that outside the BBB the animations are not the same. No decapitaions, no 'finishing moves' ... just new animations (that happen to have BBB enabled as well).

Edited by Striker879