Vanilla Oblivion Crash Issue

I've been playing a heavily modded Oblivion for about the past ~3 months with no problems save the occasional loading crash which I think we've all come to know and love/fear.

This morning, despite having changed nothing, it's decided to crash seconds after loading my saves, as soon as I move my character. Okay, I figured I've had a similar problem before, it's probably a buggy mod.

I started stripping out the mods, and still, it won't load my saves; as soon as my character moves, draws a weapon or jumps, I get a CTD. Same happens on creating a new game.

I stripped out all the mods and gave vanilla Oblivion a try, on a hunch. Same thing happens. Create a new game, move even one step, boom, CTD.

So I stripped Oblivion off and reinstalled it. Tried again. Same problem.

At this point I'm kind of stumped. Do I need to uninstall/reinstall it differently? Is it something much more complicated than that? As far as I know nothing at all has changed in the past three months except some clothing I downloaded, and certainly not between last night (when it was working fine) and now.

Do you have Windows doing automatic updates for things like drivers?

Have you tried renaming your Oblivion.ini to OldOblivion.ini and let the game rebuild a new Oblivion.ini?

Oooh, yeah updates, that's a good point. I don't shut this thing down very often but I did last night, and there were a bunch of updates it had to go through before it finally shut off. I'll give the .ini thing a shot and see what happens, if not I guess it could be driver shenanigans.

ETA: It's not the .ini, I just tried that and even with a fresh one I'm still crashing.

ETA2: Uninstalling/Reinstalling Wrye Bash didn't make a difference either.

ETA3: Oddly, the crash only comes when I move or do something. I left it for half an hour standing still doing nothing and no crash.

Edited by tattooofhername

See if you can figure out which drivers Windows update "fixed" and try a roll back of them one at a time starting with what seems most likely (pointing device, sound, video etc).

Sorry I don't. When I'm at home I have links saved galore on my desktop machine, but my normal summer machine (a laptop) died and I'm stuck using a tablet (Android's version of Chrome + tablet controls + me = "I can do this in Windows so much more easily" frustration).

Not sure which version of Windows you're on ... I'm most familiar with Win XP myself. In XP it would be Control Panel -> System -> drivers tab -> highlight the driver you want and click on Roll Back (though those steps are plucked from a possibly imperfect memory).

Google Roll Back Drivers should give you a list of various links ... pick one that is most pertinent to your operating system.

No I wouldn't think that security updates would be to blame.

That it only happens when you move your charater leads me to suspect something related to sound (footsteps sound in particular). Trying turning off sound effects in Oblivion.ini (set bSoundEnabled=0 ). What kind of sound card are you using?

There isn't a separate soundcard in my computer, just the onboard sound, which is kind of crappy even with decent speakers. I'll try switching sound effects off and see what happens. Maybe something somewhere has corrupted.

ETA: Turning sounds off worked! Now I need to figure out what sound is causing the problem. I have the Sounds of Cyrodill pack downloaded but not active, so I'm assuming it's a vanilla file that's got corrupted or something

Edited by tattooofhername

The other thing to look at is whether or not the onboard sound drivers got updated along with the Windows security updates. I have had problems with Windows updating drivers which then stopped working in the past (I do all of my Windows updates manually, so I know exactly what MS has screwed up when they screw something up).

A commonly used onboard sound chi[set is Realtek. Before my laptop died that is what it used, and I have updated drivers from the Realtek site a number of times. You just download the new driver and then run the downloaded executable.