Azura Star & Black Soul gems

WillWorthington3

Wondering if you can make the Azura's Star take Black (NPC) souls?

Or, what the settings are for determining soul capacity? I've looked around a fair bit in the CS and can't find it.

Nor do I know of a mod that does this, however, I believe had one at one time.

According to this UESP Wiki article it can't be used to capture NPC souls in it's un-modded state (if you follow the Black Soul Gem link on that page you'll see some interesting tidbits about creating black soul gems in the notes at the bottom of the page). Soul Gems are in their own branch off the Items category in the CS. Looking at Azura's Star vs the black soul gems I see no differences when you bring up their edit windows ... each have grand soul capacity, which is the largest available. I didn't see any flags that could be set, and no scripts are assigned any but the Colossal Black Soul Gem (used in Mages Guild quest Ambush). Of the two hidden columns in the CS (FormID and Size) the size value for Azura's Star is actually larger than a black soul gem (10 vs 9). If Azura's Star can be modified to hold an NPC's soul I would think you'll need a script (an observation coming from a non-scripter ... use a suitable amount of salt). Edited by Striker879