Problems creating a DLC Patch?

TimeShadow

I have created a house mod and now want to add a patch that will include all DLC content. The problem is that when I open the geck (also checking the master mod esp) and then save the patch it is not linked to the master esp (just the DLC esm files). I have gone into FO3edit and it is not linked there as well.

This involves a terminal that sorts items, so the patch will link the master terminal to the new sub-terminals that include DLC content.

I tried altering the original esp and just adding DLC content, but the whole mod goes haywire. I know I should have started originally with all DLC s as masters, but that's to late now. Redoing the mod will take to much time (1000 + hours).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all...

~TS

Edit:

Just thought of something... would it help if I made the original esp into an esm file, and if so how would I do that?

Edited by TimeShadow

You edit is correct - esp's can't have dependecies on (or even interact with) each other. Converting your original mod to esm should let you make a patch which has both that original and the dlc as masters. You can use the TESSnip utility included with FOMM if you have that (just use the "make master" spell). You should also be able to do it with FO3Edit, but I'm not at my PC and I don't remember the exact record name to edit or what to change.

Thank you this is invaluable...

Have used the FOMM forever, but never TESSnip. I venture that it is much different that just setting the esm flag in FO3edit? Also once I've converted the file can I still edit it, (or must I switch it back, edit, then change it again) either in the geck or FO3edit? I once tried just changing the extension, but didn't work out.

Thx

Edited by TimeShadow

OK, I'm back at my PC. It is indeed the ESM flag in the File Header record. You won't be able to edit the plugin with GECK while the flag is set, so you do need to flip it back and forth between editing and testing. You can change the file extension to ESM when you are finished, but that doesn't seem to be mandatory (mod manager recognizes the type from the flag and ignores the file extension).

Thanks for all your help,

Just wondering... once the mod is completed, which will be soon (perhaps a few weeks), what's the best way to find some beta testers? If your active on FO3, perhaps you might consider it? Regardless, any advice would be most welcome.

You could announce the upcoming release and request beta testers in the Fallout 3 Mod Talk forum. Also, if you know of any other mods that are roughly similar to what you're planning, you can look in the comments section for those mods and PM your request to a few users who have posted helpful suggestions. Active posters, particularly those who make good suggestions, are often delighted to get a sneak peek at something you think they'll like. And while I can't commit a ton of time, I'd be happy to give it a spin.

Too bad that some of the features in Power Up Fork for NV GECK aren't back ported to the FO3 version... You could then have esp's as masters and also directly edit esm's in GECK.

That's a lot of jumping through hoops.

Yes editing the ESM flag file header is the way and not as dangerous as using TESnip which is old and broken, not sure if you even need to change the file name, but if you do, you can always edit in FO3Edit afterwards or a hex editor.

What is Power Up Fork for NV GECK? I just made the esp file into an esm file with TESsnip once all edits were complete, is there problems with this, should use some other method? Yes, it is labor intensive if I have to edit something, but I don't know another way.