{Quick Survey} What would be your dream start location?

danielj97

read the main post before voting!  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to start in Oblivion?

• I would like to start in a burning shipwreck.
    • I would like to start in a burning building.
    • I would like to start in a castle under-seige.
    • I would like to start in a small cottage.
    • I would like to start in a small village.
    • I would like to start in a house, in one of the main cities.*
    • I would like to start as a homeless man.
    • I would like to start as a thief / criminal on the run.
    • I would like to start as an estate owner.
  2. 2. * If you chose No.6, then what city?

• The Imperial City
    • Skingrad
    • Chorrol
    • Leyawiin
    • Bravil
    • Cheyinhall
    • Anvil
    • Bruma
    • I didn't pick number 6
  3. 3. If you chose more than one answer for Q1 then how would you like the mod to be layed out?

• In one big mod?
    • Split up into a mod series?

I actually didn't really like any of the options much, but I chose burning shipwreck because it's the only choice that doesn't assume your character has been living in Cyrodiil for some time prior to the start of the game. I like to roleplay my characters as being newly arrived in Tamriel; it's how I make sense of the fact that I don't know where anything is and have never met any of the NPCs. The Alternative Start Arrive by Ship mod is great for me.

If you're creating a new mod I would definitely include something along those lines as an option. Everything you've listed seems geared towards a character who has already been living in Cyrodiil for some time. One suggestion is that if someone starts as an estate owner or homeowner somewhere in Cyrodiil, it would be neat if you could give them a map with nearby locations already marked. It'd add to realism. If I've lived in Skingrad long enough to own a home there, it makes sense that I'd already know where the nearby caves, forts, and settlements are.

I'd like to see some alternatives to the arrive by ship idea. There are other ways for a person to be newly arrived in Cyrodiil without having come on a passenger ship. I'd like to be an escaped slave\indenture from Morrowind - start in Bravil because it's close by and has a reputation as a place where the law looks the other way. Or an Ayleid who was living in an isolated clan and decided to see civilization for herself. A Nord from Skyrim who just couldn't stand one more freezing cold winter and took a job working as a bodyguard for a traveling merchant headed south - start in Bruma. A Redguard captain of my own ship - start in Anvil.

My biggest complaint (my only complaint, really) about the Alternative Start mod is that I find the "I had a dream about the Emperor's assassination!" thing a bit lame. There must be a better way to do it; I rarely play characters who would go investigate something that came to them in a dream! I like the idea of hearing about the assassination from a broadsheet, and having a homeless beggar approach you in the Imperial City Waterfront the first time you go there, and try to sell you the Amulet of Kings, which he found in the sewers. The main quest would be delayed until you chose to buy it from him, steal it, or just kill him and take it. Or instead of having the beggar automatically approach, you could just hear a rumor about this beggar who scavenges things to sell, and you'd have to find him to discover that he's got the amulet.

There must be lots of other ideas. Anything's got to be better than a dream.

I want to have to escape from Kvatch through the equivalent of the tutorial dungeon, ideally randomised so it isn't so "samey"

I like this idea a whole lot. It would allow for a seamless introduction into the main quest, but it wouldn't be good for most roleplayers. I was surprised this wasn't how Oblivion was originally made.

Creating characters is one of my favourite things to do after having the game for such a long time, so new starting options are awesome!

This one's a little odd - but could be fun.

You wake up on a hillside next to a parachute. Last thing you knew was an odd greenish light as you flew your plane through the Bermuda Triangle...

This one's a little odd - but could be fun.

You wake up on a hillside next to a parachute. Last thing you knew was an odd greenish light as you flew your plane through the Bermuda Triangle...

Smart, would be quite a unique choice. (:

OUTER SPACE, BATTLING SPACE-VELOCIRAPTORS WHEN MY TETHER SNAPS, SENDING ME CAREENING INTO THE GALACTIC CENTER AND WORMHOLING ME INTO THE PAST, WHERE I FALL FROM THE SKY AND LAND ON URIEL SEPTIM, KILLING HIM INSTANTLY

I don't think I'll do this one. ;)

It would be great starting straight of trying to escape an oblivion gate :D

Maybe starting as a prisoner in one of those cages?

• 3 months later...