Boethia quest bug

MidbossVyers

I was playing a mod race and fighting in Boethia's Tournament. When I arrived, I was in my brood cage, but all the other (10) combatants were on the same island as me. Half of them died fairly quickly because there was not enough space on the island, so they fell into the lava. None were aggressive (attacked when attacked, though), and after 9/10 were killed, the quest updated. The unofficial Oblivion patch should have fixed this, but it didn't seem to. When I was playing another mod race on my first playthrough. I didn't encounter this bug. All the combatants were in their respective cages and attacked when they opened. What happened?

Known bug. This excerpted from the UESP walkthrough:

Bugs

If you approach the war gate to the left, the enemy behind it will notice you and try to attack. Eventually they will fall in the lava trying to reach you and die. Boethia will announce their death and because it was out of sequence the remainder of the gates won't open. To complete the quest, jump around the other gates to fight the remaining opponents. When they are all dead the quest will continue as usual.

This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.

If you are using a custom race mod, it is likely that this quest will not work properly. To complete the quest, use the showracemenu console command to change your race to one of the normal (non-custom) races BEFORE you give the Daedra Heart to Boethia, and complete the quest as normal. After the quest, you can use the console to change back to your custom race. Please note that this will likely change your skill levels, so use this method with caution. If you don't feel like sacrificing your hard earned talents, you can also use the console method of quest completion. Simply accept the quest from Boethia by giving him the daedra heart, then instead of going through the portal (since no enemies will appear in the daedra realm because the quest won't start upon entry), open the console and type <SetStage DABoethia 30> (without <>).

The Unofficial Oblivion Patch includes a fix to make custom races work with both this quest and Valen Dreth's dialogue at the beginning of the game.

If a powerful Charm spell is used to make the NPCs accept a yield, they can be spoken to. An interesting quirk is all the NPCs are friendly, save for the Khajiit, who reverts into a highwayman - demanding money from you.

Edited by Striker879

He's already mentioned that:

The unofficial Oblivion patch should have fixed this, but it didn't seem to. When I was playing another mod race on my first playthrough. I didn't encounter this bug. All the combatants were in their respective cages and attacked when they opened. What happened?

Try reloading and attempting the quest again with the same character. If it is repeatable then something is overwriting the UOP's fix.