Texture pop-ins in Fallout 3 and NV, Windows 10 ?

DuleTNT

Hi guys I have a drastic texture pop-ins in FO3 and New Vegas after Windows 10 upgrade and NVIDIA drivers update. Also some strange texture flickering.... and strange shadows movement, stuttering and these things are happening more less in other games as well.

So, I know very well that I didn't notice any of this in Windows 8.1....

I also know that texture pop-ins are symptom of low RAM and VRAM... but my system shouldn't have that problem:

ASUS ROG G750 Series G750JX-DB71 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) - 4 cores, 8 logical processors.
16GB Memory 1TB HDD 256GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5 17.3"

Windows 10, 64 bit.

I do use NMC's hi res textures in both games, but, as I said, I didn't notice any problems before Windows 10 upgrades.

And I really believe this system should handle it without problems!

Actually pop-ins are so drastic that it happens literally in from of my legs in game - even in low-res vault-tunnels and caves.... Simply unbeliveable.

It is the same like in this video which I saw on youtube - although it's a different game, but it looks the same in my FO3 and FONV! Even the same strange shadow problems like in this video...

Besides FO3 and FONV, I noticed the same problem in Bioshock Infinite and even in Deus Ex human Revolution... Dead space 3 looks ok for now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=177aAVzdZvc

Also there is lots of stuttering which never happened before... although FPS in all games is 60 with V-sync on (although that was also problem with new drivers - so I needed to adjust some stuff to get FPS back)

All those games worked perfectly smooth before these upgrades!

I contacted NVIDIA support about this, but no any answers (disrespectful like always).

Any idea?

I really don't know what to do, but what I know is that I'm really loosing my patience!

Edited by DuleTNT

nVidia does not support (care about?) end users - don't hold your breath waiting for that to change. Rolling back to Windows 8.1 may "fix" this but I'm guessing this is *not* a Microsoft problem (afaik Windows 10 does not change DDI9/DX9 support), but an nVidia driver problem. Which, in and of itself, is not at all surprising - they have a fantastic knack for trashing backwards compatibility, and rarely do they go back and clean up their mess. If there are older versions of ForceWare that will work for your hardware in Windows 10, you may try that first, but otherwise you'll likely need to run an older version of Windows to use significantly older (working) drivers.

Edited by obobski

nVidia does not support (care about?) end users - don't hold your breath waiting for that to change. Rolling back to Windows 8.1 may "fix" this but I'm guessing this is *not* a Microsoft problem (afaik Windows 10 does not change DDI9/DX9 support), but an nVidia driver problem. Which, in and of itself, is not at all surprising - they have a fantastic knack for trashing backwards compatibility, and rarely do they go back and clean up their mess. If there are older versions of ForceWare that will work for your hardware in Windows 10, you may try that first, but otherwise you'll likely need to run an older version of Windows to use significantly older (working) drivers.

Yeah exactly - I tried to uninstall new "windows 10" nvidia drivers and install some older version, but it was the same garbage - so I figured that nvidia and windows 10 simply can't work together!

So, the only way for everything to work would be to go back to windows 8.1!

And that is very upsetting!

You know, you give your money (lots of money) for something and then they screw it up and you can't get what you paid for?!?!

That is very much upsetting, and I know I am not the only one.... people should be much more aggressive and we should ask our money back, then, maybe they will do something right! You know, payed almost 3.000 damn USD for this damn computer so I could have a good experience playing games and doing some graphical stuff (for my work) and then I get for that money crap in games which I didn't have with much older and cheaper computers before....

I am sooooo pissed off !!!

Yeah exactly - I tried to uninstall new "windows 10" nvidia drivers and install some older version, but it was the same garbage - so I figured that nvidia and windows 10 simply can't work together!

So, the only way for everything to work would be to go back to windows 8.1!

And that is very upsetting!

You know, you give your money (lots of money) for something and then they screw it up and you can't get what you paid for?!?!

That is very much upsetting, and I know I am not the only one.... people should be much more aggressive and we should ask our money back, then, maybe they will do something right! You know, payed almost 3.000 damn USD for this damn computer so I could have a good experience playing games and doing some graphical stuff (for my work) and then I get for that money crap in games which I didn't have with much older and cheaper computers before....

I am sooooo pissed off !!!

Not to fuel the fire anymore, but this is unfortunately not an uncommon complaint I've seen with nVidia GPUs over the years. Espeically for people who play "old" games. Unfortunately this is also in a laptop, so there's no upgrade options, and you're held to whatever drivers support it and work properly, which can amplify the above. I would say if Windows 8.1 lets everything work as it should, just go with that and enjoy the system, and when it comes time to upgrade in a few years look at A) a desktop and B) potentially not going with nVidia (Intel and AMD both have pretty good options for graphics controllers these days).

Edited by obobski