many mods, crash mid game, no idea WHY!

zahfares

I wondered why I kept getting crashes in SKSE - i didnt have the .ini and i think that was the issue, not sure why I didnt have it in the first place! LOOT etc was all in good working form.... Now when it *tries* to crash to a black window it just stutters in game for a second and doesnt die. Thanks to whoever wrote that .ini! :smile:

Edited by Gruwat

wasn't suspecting CH at all, i've just said this great mod can help you to check your game

go in mcm menu

CH » main

Gameplay script lag » stopped» clic»»running

close the menu go back in game and watch upper left corner!

it will tel you how much script lag you have if »100 = trouble

i've told you Warzone mess a lot of games, but works for some

@@

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=512 is right

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768 this as well

start with 512 and up to 768,

if your log show a use of more than 512 for 1 block so up to 768, it will allow you to use for sure 512 anyway^^

@@

start with 512 and up to 768,

if your log show a use of more than 512 for 1 block so up to 768, it will allow you to use for sure 512 anyway^^

This is not correct. He has to start with 768 because with 512 the ingame limit is 256. And with a moderately modded Skyrim this value is reached fast.

If you dont believe me, set the value to 512, start skyrim and open the memoryblockslog.log youll see that the game is using 256 as block one as well as 256 as block two. Check for yourself.

And as the threadstarter is having a midgame crash its very likely that the wrong memory settings are one of the reasons.

Here youll find more information:

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/6726-common-ctds-freezes-ils-and-memory-issues/

+page 6 for a lengthy discussion.

sorry but no, believe me i've checked many times, you can even set it up to 600+ if you want, i'm not sheson, but i run 4 different setup average 150+ mods, using different memory patch without a glitch.

then read this from Sheson (MemoryBlocksLog author):

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Note that the value for DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB needs to be 256 more than what you want memory block1 to be. So 768 is in effect 512MB.

Then use MemoryBlocksLog to see how much of the 512MB is really used. Add 10, 20 or even 30 to that number to have a buffer. For example if MemoryBlocksLog highest number for block1 is 342, set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=618
342 + 256 + 20 = 618

you.re not wrong, but you're not right either :)

@@

sorry but no, believe me i've checked many times, you can even set it up to 600+ if you want, i'm not sheson, but i run 4 different setup average 150+ mods, using different memory patch without a glitch.

then read this from Sheson (MemoryBlocksLog author):

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Note that the value for DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB needs to be 256 more than what you want memory block1 to be. So 768 is in effect 512MB.

Then use MemoryBlocksLog to see how much of the 512MB is really used. Add 10, 20 or even 30 to that number to have a buffer. For example if MemoryBlocksLog highest number for block1 is 342, set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=618

342 + 256 + 20 = 618

you.re not wrong, but you're not right either :smile:

@@

Well, what he said is correct though. If you want to initialize the memory blocks to be the same values that were initially recommended by Sheson for SSME, then the corresponding value for the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is 768. If you set it to 512, you have done nothing different from the vanilla game settings, so there would be no point in even using the memory patch. I think there is some confusion around when someone is referring to the settings in SKSE.ini vs. the sizes of the actual memory block when the game runs. He was referring to the SKSE setting(768), and you seem to be talking about the actual size of the memory block (512) in game at some points in your discussion. I don't think the SKSE team did us any favours by implementing it that way. It has caused quite a bit of confusion as evidenced by the number of discussions about it in various forums.

The settings that I have to run with to prevent crashes on game startup, ILS or periodic lockups are the following:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024
ScrapHeapSizeMB=512
This results in the following actual memory block sizes:
Block1 Block2
768MB 512MB
That is taken directly from the log file. What's curious is that the last line in the log file from when I last ran the game is this:
604 256
Even though block 2 is 512, it's seems to stick at 256 once it hits it. It may be waiting for block 1 to fill up before it grows any larger, but it will consistently grow up to 256, then stop. I have yet to see it go above that.
Edited by blitzen

and you seem to be talking about the actual size of the memory block (512) in game at some points in your discussion

yes exactly, thanks to clear this , my point was also to not just copy/past few lines on nexus somewhere and say that is the rule.

i use 1 ini aswell with 1024/512 with same result

@@