tes4gecko java confusion

vilontano

Hi

Brand new to oblivion and following tes4 positive's guide to setting up modded Oblivion. also a complete newb when it comes to all this tes4 stuff.

My Computer:

Vista 64 bit

Among numerous confusions

I am having problems figuring out how to get/which one to use

Sun Java 1.5 runtime

the links provided on the readme (and various websites) no longer work.

I'm also worried about having this older version along with the New Versions on the same computer...not sure if that is a problem....

I found this "old apps" page

http://www.oldapps.com/java.php

(is this a safe site????)

It lists at least 15 different permutations of JRE 1.5

any thoughts???

there are some with 64 next to them is that for 64bits???

everything else (python etc) is 32bit so should i stick with that???

any help appreciated

Updates to Java from the SUN site do not remove the old versions, just adds the latest version. Considering that many Java updates include security bug fixes this doesn't make a lot of sense. Newer versions of Java are supposed to be backwards compatible with applets developed for the older versions, but SUN probably leaves the old version when you update to cut down on service related problems (i.e. the update 'breaks' your applet).

Here's a MajorGeeks link to the latest Java update (notice that there is a link to the 64bit version). Also here's a link to JavaRA (also hosted on MajorGeeks) which is a utility that can be used to get rid of the old Java versions and keep your Java updated. I'm not sure if it works with 64bit (I'm a 32bit dinosaur myself).

Updates to Java from the SUN site do not remove the old versions, just adds the latest version. Considering that many Java updates include security bug fixes this doesn't make a lot of sense. Newer versions of Java are supposed to be backwards compatible with applets developed for the older versions, but SUN probably leaves the old version when you update to cut down on service related problems (i.e. the update 'breaks' your applet).

Here's a MajorGeeks link to the latest Java update (notice that there is a link to the 64bit version). Also here's a link to JavaRA (also hosted on MajorGeeks) which is a utility that can be used to get rid of the old Java versions and keep your Java updated. I'm not sure if it works with 64bit (I'm a 32bit dinosaur myself).

Thanks for the info..

I have updated to the newest Java (the one at Major Geeks)

but I am still getting an error message

cannot find C\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe

I thought it might be because I needed the older runtime version, the 1.5

but I am really clueless

anyone know a possible solution...

thanks

Are you getting that error when you're trying to update Java? You should get an administrator prompt for permission if you're updating Java from a non-administrative account (at least that's how it works on my Vista laptop ... all my other machines are Windows XP) and a UAC prompt. You could also try uninstalling Java from the control panel then re-install it. I'm not sure if this has been changed in Vista 64bit (unlikely) ... on my laptop it's Control Panel (from the Start menu) ... Programs and Features ... scroll down to the Java updates and single click and pick uninstall from the selections at the top of the window.

Are you getting that error when you're trying to update Java? You should get an administrator prompt for permission if you're updating Java from a non-administrative account (at least that's how it works on my Vista laptop ... all my other machines are Windows XP) and a UAC prompt. You could also try uninstalling Java from the control panel then re-install it. I'm not sure if this has been changed in Vista 64bit (unlikely) ... on my laptop it's Control Panel (from the Start menu) ... Programs and Features ... scroll down to the Java updates and single click and pick uninstall from the selections at the top of the window.

Thanks for the trys!!! : )

I think it is a "shock" vista 64 bit

(evidently windows 7 as well)

problem...

I'm going to try this which seems too god

to be true

posting it here in case anyone else has

evil vista : (

Ryan Says:

August 31, 2010 at 10:29 pm

For Windows 7 users experiencing troubles with not being able to find javaw.exe here is what you do.

Open C:/Windows/SysWOW64

Scroll down and find javaw.exe and copy it

Open C:/Windows/System32

Paste javaw.exe

That’s it. Work done.

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, it’s some sort of association error and it is much easier putting javaw.exe in the System32 folder than messing around with anything else, especially for the less experienced computer users. Hope this helped.

http://www.pdfsam.org/?p=84

Edited by vilontano

Thanks for the update vilontano. That link leads to a Microsoft + SUN generated horror story. Gave me a real appreciation for wanting to be the LAST kid on the block with a 64bit operating system. Sometimes my dinosaur ways have some value. I'll just learn to be satisfied with 3.5 GB of Windows memory (2 GB has served me OK so far).

Thanks for the update vilontano. That link leads to a Microsoft + SUN generated horror story. Gave me a real appreciation for wanting to be the LAST kid on the block with a 64bit operating system. Sometimes my dinosaur ways have some value. I'll just learn to be satisfied with 3.5 GB of Windows memory (2 GB has served me OK so far).

yes...it has been awful..only got the system

because it was such a "steal"

had been successfully avoiding both 64 bit and vista as well....

(until then)

so much for a Bargain (with the devil) LOL

I hear you. Sometimes we just can't avoid fate. The only reason I have Vista at all is because of a problem I had with my desktop that was going to take a while to resolve (and I wanted a laptop for travelling). It hasn't been my favourite, that's for sure. My personal stockpile of OEM Windows XP is down to three uninstalled copies ... not sure where I'll go after they're gone. If game support was better I'd dump Mr Gates for Linux. Maybe WINE on a fast machine and stay away from the latest and greatest games. The EOL for support on XP will likely be the point at which I'll need to decide. Perhaps one of these days I'll be in a Canada Computers store with an extra $70 bucks in my pocket and walk out with a nice new WD Scorpio Black 500GB hard drive. I'd be down to two copies of XP and one faster booting laptop, not an unattractive concept.