Ethernet troubles

Hi there.

Just this afternoon, I bought myself a new ethernet cable to connect my gaming rig to the internet.

I would like to say here, that I plugged it in and all is well, but no. The computer just isnt recognising that I've plugged in the cable. Hell, even the lights on the port dont light up.

Theres nothing in the device manager, under network and sharing centre, nothing. Believe me when I say that I've damn near checked it all.

If theres any advice you can give me on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

RELEVANT INFO:

Using Windows 7 x64

I've checked the cable into both my laptop and into another pc, all others work.

Mobo is an Asus P5KPL-C, with built in ethernet port. No need for an adapter.

The port on my router is guaranteed working.

Thanks.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Didnt know it had to be enabled in BIOS. All good now

Edited by CommanderCrazy

What do you mean "Theres nothing in the device manager, under network and sharing centre, nothing." That nothing looks wrong or NOTHING at all? If its nothing at all then you need your drivers and you can get them HERE under LAN.

If there is SOMETHING then my guess would be to check your adapter is enabled. Check here "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" right click your adapter and enable if its not. Make sure your device is working properly in device manager it should be under Network adapters.

post back

using a crossover cable in a regular port
:)

or like Fonger said

Well the packaging says 'Straight Through Patch Cable'

Also, I mean there is absolutely nothing at all. Now I looked at my mobo on that driver page (through the input fields), downloaded the LAN driver, and it said 'L1 ethernet controller not present, Installation terminated' or some random crap. So I put the mobo disk in to see if there was anything there, but it said that is was incompatible with my OS.

Gaaaaah! Why is it never easy!? :verymad:

Thanks for informing ... didn't know you had to change the cable in your Bios. Good that you found out.

8)

Edited by SilverDNA