alpha maping?

nekollx

Hey everyone For the mod i'm working on was looking to making some varients and noticed in the niff files that if i just deleted a part of the mesh (say the tunich) the pant under it was fully rendered, however after making the Armor Addon files and the Armor references in TES Edit as well as matching the body slots to just what is visible in the new twp piece armor but when i load it in skyrim the deleted parts are complety transparent making parts of the body disapear so just deleting the bock in niff scope isn't the solution and since i want to expand this to normal skyrim and break up all the vanilla armos in a similar way i need a solution.

The idea cam to me of setting the part im removing to have a 100 opacity but not sure how to do alpha is it a dds i have to make and add to a textureset? is it something in the niff file? Any advice?

Open your nif file, select the NiTriShape you want to edit the texture of, find the associated BSLightingProperty. BSLightingProperty has a BSShaderTextureSet attached to it, open that, then click on the little icon that expands the texture sets. There you can find which texture file it's using.

Now open the texture file in GIMP, and delete the parts you want to be transparent. You can learn more about GIMP and it's tools and features by simply googling.

Once you're done, save the new file as a new .dds file and put it somewhere in the textures folder.

Create a duplicate of the nif you were editing, put it somewhere new in the meshes folder. Open it, go to BSShaderTextureSet and edit it so it points to your new texture.

Finally, open the iron armor, click on the armor, it should have a BSAlphaProperty. Copy the BSAlphaProperty into the NiTriShape of your own armor.

Open your nif file, select the NiTriShape you want to edit the texture of, find the associated BSLightingProperty. BSLightingProperty has a BSShaderTextureSet attached to it, open that, then click on the little icon that expands the texture sets. There you can find which texture file it's using.

Now open the texture file in GIMP, and delete the parts you want to be transparent. You can learn more about GIMP and it's tools and features by simply googling.

Once you're done, save the new file as a new .dds file and put it somewhere in the textures folder.

Create a duplicate of the nif you were editing, put it somewhere new in the meshes folder. Open it, go to BSShaderTextureSet and edit it so it points to your new texture.

Finally, open the iron armor, click on the armor, it should have a BSAlphaProperty. Copy the BSAlphaProperty into the NiTriShape of your own armor.

ive done all that though the results in game don't seem to be working, though i just set the alpha chanel on my texture and saved that

here a copy of the meshes and dds in question if you could take a look see what i've done wrong https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxeR8W9y9j_bWFpiWG9xNExXWkE/view?usp=sharing

Did you attach a BSAlphaProperty to your BSLightingProperty?

Edit: I downloaded your file. Why don't you just delete the pant's entire NiTriShape?

yup the alpha are even vanishes in nifscope so its working there but in game no such luck

If your armor is different ingame than in nifskope, it has to do with your BSLightningShaderProperty's tags and values, since nifskope doesn't seem to take those into account when rendering.

Edited by gezegond

no the problems im seeing is that itns not remderingthe armor at all either i wind up naked or missing body parts and the alphaed armor is the exact same as the normal version of the armor which works fine the only difference is the additional alpha property and the new alpha DDS

I'm not sure what you are trying to do or what your end goal is. If you want to get rid of pants and have some other pants, then just delete the NiTriShape and copy another pants from some other armor into your nif file. If you want naked legs to appear instead of the pants then you need to delete the pants and insert naked leg meshes in their stead. That would require some mesh editing in Blender\3DS Max.

If you're trying to do something else please clearly explain what your end goal is and I might be able to help you further. If you have a question please be as specific as you can about it.

Edited by gezegond

pretty much the later I'm trying toi split existing mesh into tuinic and pants showing the body under it, guess that answered my question on what i was missing i need inport the naked body to show under the alter meshes

Alpha maps work removing parts of the armor the only thing is if the texture gets overwritten the piece is back. So for some stuff like puldrons for example would be better done by editing the mesh in a 3d program and deleting the puldron itself. Then reskin the armor and stuff. Thats more work than alpha mapping. Another thing you could do is include a alphamap in your mod as a template for people to put on there own texture mods