Should I dress up as a Sailor Moon girl?

samusaran253

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should I dress up as a Sailor Moon girl?

• yes
    • no

I dont do cosplay much anymore, but it's largely about what you want to advertise your allegiance to and what you want to look like.

My advice for asssembling is look for materials that have similar properties to what you're trying to replicate, if you want a WarHammer armour plate, use something like fibreglass with matte paint, since all it's armour is Ceramite, which is a light, matte coloured composite.

Secondly, your main source will be "op-shops" second hand dealers and thrift shops are a great way to get stuff, I got my whole outfit from them, with the pistol being the only thing I couldnt(thankfully WarHammer pistols are easy to replicate legaly, they dont resemble real guns much)

For guns, wood is your best bet, so learn how to sculp it, form it, and form shapes by affixing pieces together. A really high end cosplay item doesnt just look good if you squint, my Garm Bolt Pistol has a springloaded, fully working slide, removable clip, and a faux .998 round in the chamber. How? I build them like a real gun, take a central block of wood, then add the fittings via seperate pieces. In my BoltPistol's case it's a central block that contains the barrel, chamber, clip housing, and spings, onto that fit's the handgrip, monopiece, the sights, monopiece, the slide, and then a two piece fit-on out casing, and the twin Aquila Imperialus decorations, wooden with brass leaf. Cost? $10 of brass leaf, $20 springs, $80 treated, localy grown pine, $50 paint and brushes, tools.

For paint, toyshops, hobbyshops or car paint outlets. Paint is absolutely vital to looking good, particularly if your outfit, like mine, has an excess of armour and weapons. Toyshops and hobbyshops sell small pots of paint, clearcoat, hardener and enamel, these are fantabulous for details as they, particulalry Ertl and Revel Monogram, are very nice quality modelkit paints, for the main areas, some good quality matte wil do, grab those at a car paint shop or hobbyshop

For sailor moon stuff, which I must confess I've never heard of here, try goth/punk themed stores, or sports shops, with clothing you'll be better off grabbing a pre-existing garment and modifying that rather than trying to make your own, this is also far cheaper and stops you needing about $500 worth of extra tools.

Im a huge WarHammer 40,000 fan so I went with a Kommisar outfit-black floor length leather greatcoat, black leather tunic overlaid with a heavy chestplate, Soviet-esque officer peaked cap, black jackboots, loose black pants, tucked inyo boots, and the obvious Kommisar rank symbols, the katana/rapier-esque sword and the dreaded handgun they use for executing cowards and disloyal troopers.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Commissar

For a guy... No... just No... Not that I have anything against cross-play or the like (beyond the often horrors it brings), just that it's been done to death in regard to that particular franchise. There are so many other, newer series which you could pick from. Shave, and either learn to tuck, or just don't cross-play, regardless of costume.

For a girl... I'd still say no just because there are so many other options out there if you take the time to look.

As for cosplay, what is important is not what the character looks like, but how well you personally can identify with that character. If there isn't any sort of connection, all it is is walking around in funny clothes that usually don't cover what they're supposed to. If you're going to go for something skin tight, PLEASE try to keep your own body form and the type of material in mind. A thin-knit cotton or lose spandex will not cover completely when it is (over)stretched. If you are fairly overweight, design a costume to work around your form instead of trying to squeeze it. Surgical tape, gauze or duct tape can be useful for minor adjustments but cannot make up for more serious ones.

*and before anyone gets some strange ideas... I've never cosplayed. I have just seen and read enough about bad ones to see the pattern of where things often go wrong.

Aye, if you can pull it off, go for it.

It's always important to aim for what you can do well-as a WarHammer fan I rarely play the Imperial Guard, so a Kommisar was an odd choice for me, however, my favorite army, the Dark Angels, would be a bad choice since I look nothing like The Lion, and am about 400 pounds smaller(in body mass alone). I do however have the grouchy features and ability to look unimpressed required to be a Kommisar, and so a Kommisar is what i went with.

In WarHammer, Space Marines such as the Dark Angels are the last, best hope for the Imperium of Man in a galaxy full of myriad horrors and dangers. But there is no one single group of Space Marines, rather, the Adeptes Astartes are divided into 1000 Chapters. Each Chapter has it's own colours, fighting style, combat doctorine, logos, homeworld, and even accent. Why? because each Chapter is geneticaly based off it's founder, it's Primarch. The ten original primarchs each were very distinct and thus their "children" are very destinctive: though they were once ordinary mortals, once Augmented, they come to closely resemble their Primarch and thus are extremely distinct: a Space Wolf will always have a short temper, fangs, copious facial hair and typicaly a "hairy dog" smell. A Raven Guard will all but always be an albino, a Blood Angel will always have fangs, and almost always bleached skin, and so forth.

Of all of them, the Dark Angels and Blood Angels cried out to me the loudest, dark and gothic even in the grim gothic horror darkness of WarHammer 40,000, they represent the dark side of the Imperium, brutal, savage antiheroes, but heroic nonethless. I'd have cosplayed one, but at 3.6 metres tall and 1166 pounds in armour, they're a bit too big for any living human to pull off quite right, and thus better to play a Kommisar and atleast look lifelike than look like the runtiest, geekiest Dark Angel in all history.

Because a good cosplay can look very cool, a bad cosplay is a laughing stock. Then again, do it right and you'll be the E-3/ComicCon god.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lion_El%27Jonson <Primarch http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Angels <Chapter http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sanguinius <Primarch http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Angels <Chapter

Edited by Vindekarr

I don't recommend it because it's overdone, and because there's more to anime than kids' shows. :) This is regardless of whether or not you are in fact female-bodied. That, and I think looking like Miss Fanservice is best kept to Halloween. ;)

However, if you really want to do it, please just wear clean undergarments that actually do the job of covering, because those skirts are short and the last thing you want is a wardrobe malfunction. Again, regardless of whether you're a guy, girl or currently transitioning--I have no issue with crossplay, provided it's either well done or at least funny. :)

Well I have to agree to BB2 and Vargant0!

But there is some other things that I would taken into account too for choosing a cosplay i know from Carnival from my country (mostly late in February )

1st: it should be comfortable for the season you planing to use it.

2nd: if you holding / having aditional stuff ( If you like to use the sceptre of sailor moon which is a real con against it ) has to be wearable on the body even while sitting, because it can get very anoying to hold one thing with one hand while holding with the other a beer, then you need a 3rd hand for something else ... unless you are having a third arm ( that would be very unlikely) you are handicapped and get very soon bored to hold this in your hand.

3rd expect your cosplay to suffer from all kinds of things I did saw a princess once that had a curtain hat rested in more beers than I had on that night... and as soon as she got out of the pub the strong wind blew the thing right into her face. (not the experience I would like to make)

If it don't needs to be a amine cosplay I would advice for a Cyberpunk cosplay.

If you want to reconsider I would advice you to follow that link and take a look at the pictures ...(LINK)

Oh and i saw too many Startrek cosplays in my life. Please stay away from them because I'm really fed up with them

Edited by SilverDNA

Yeah, the season is definitely an issue.

Keep the "naughty" costumes for indoor events, assuming it's not very warm where you are. As I said before, please, for the love of reason, cover your bits, whatever they are, properly.