Whenever I stop playing oblivion (exit from the pause screen)

Whenever I stop playing oblivion (exit from the pause screen), the game screen just stays there and my mouse dissapears. I can't get my mouse to move unless I hit the button on my computer to turn it off. I've downloaded one of the official oblivion patches and I've download unofficial oblivion patch. Reinstalled game numerous times. Problem still occurs.

I use Windom Earle's Crash Prevention System, and have never had that crash happen again ever since I installed it.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22282

Unfortunately, you need OBSE, and the other mod which prevents crashes (Fast Exit) also needs OBSE. I have searched hard for one that doesn't because I am helping a new player get her game set up, but there are none.

You don't have to use the button to turn off the computer. What she started doing is control-alt-delete to bring up the task manager and quit out of Oblivion there. It can leave your system unstable, so you should reboot afterward, but it's less likely to cause computer problems from repeatedly forcing a shutdown.

You need Fast Exit. (Although you should be forewarned that it is only like 80% effective, but that is still an improvement.)

OBSE is not hard to install. I am sure you are capable of doing it.

You should try to never hit the off button of your computer until you have closed all your applications. If a program freezes up, hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE to enter task manager. That worthy program may take 30 seconds to sort things out and shut a program down, but you can afford to wait for it.

You don't really need to reboot after shutting down because your system won't really become that unstable. We are playing a game here. The stakes are very low. Worst case scenario? Your game crashes again. Big deal. Now if you are typing a term paper or something important, you might want to reboot after a freeze-up just to be on the safe side.

Occasionaly when I need to use Task Manager to get me out of a frozen Oblivion it seems to not start. In actual fact Task Manager has started but is unable to regain control of the screen, so you can't see that it's running. The following keypress sequence will get Task Manager to shut Windows down (as David has said, much safer than reset or power off):

Ctrl + Alt + Del (to get Task Manager started)

Alt (to move the focus to the menus ... File will initially be selected)

u (to open the Shutdown menu item)

u (to select Turn Off from the Shutdown menu)

I prefer Turn Off to Restart so that memory is reinitialized by the reboot ... restart doesn't clear your memory's contents, it just performs a warm boot.

David, it's not hard to install but some people cannot use OBSE because they have bought encrypted versions of the game through Impulse or D2D. If you visit the OBSE site, they explain why it is illegal for them to make OBSE work for encrypted versions. They would have to decrypt it first, which is illegal.

You do not have to reboot after you force quit something, it's true, but it's Microsoft's advice, and Dell's, and apparently also the Geek Squad's advice that you do that after force quitting anything, before you run the program again or launch any other program. The average person should probably follow the advice of Microsoft and any warnings of system instability included in the OS itself. I will include myself in the average category. You are a more professional computer user than most people. And yes, Striker, they told me to shut down, not restart, the last time I had to resort to their tech support. I was told to start the computer up again, and then do a restart *after* the shutting down, to make sure Windows had completed some sort of internal management tasks. According to his tech script you should do that. It may be incorrect, but since it can't hurt...why not?

For the OP: HItting the power button when a program crashes = last resort.