Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins to be considered for Smith

Agonofinis

Good day, everyone. I'm Agonofinis, one of your fresh batch of news writers.

Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins are all in the running to be displayed at a new exhibition and collection of digital media at the Smithsonian Art Museum in Washington D.C., designed to celebrate "The Art Of Videogames”, which opens on March 16th, 2012.

The collection will split eighty games into five eras, perhaps ranging from the ZX Spectrum and 8-bit legends Missile Command and E.T The Extra-Terrestrial, all the way up to modern blockbusters such as Mass Effect 2 and, of course, the games represented by the Nexus websites.

Though the collection is being curated by Past Pixels founder Chris Mellisinos, the public is also able to have a say in what goes into the exhibition. With a choice of 240 games spread over nearly 40 years of gaming tradition, you all have until April 17th to visit the website and register your vote. With only an email address you can help decide what games should be preserved for posterity, and which games Roger Ebert will see when he is inevitably dragged there by a smug industry figurehead.

Elizabeth Broun, the Margaret and Terry Stent Director of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, stated that;

“Playing video games involves many personal choices, so, in keeping with the spirit of the exhibition’s content, we want to involve the public in helping us select games for the exhibition.”

Vote for Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age or any other of the selected games now at the Art Of Videogames website, found in the link below.

Art Of Videogames website

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no Half-Life, Doom or Quake. I am disappoint.

Doom II was there. As was Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn, (but not the original... :sad: )

Also noticed that DA didn't make my list under the "Windows Games" category. I didn't check for the others since I don't play on those platforms.

Maybe they're rotating the ones offered to each person to reduce the amount of time spent/decision making everyone has to do. If you get a large enough sample size, the results can be equally valid.

I think the categories don't really cover everything and are a bit mashed up. Where is the 16 bit era (Amgia/Atari ST)? Why does Era 3 only have console games? I'd categorize it like this:

Era 1: 70's till early 80's - where the whole thing started, computer gaming was only possible for a few computer nerds back then (and no one cared about it)

Era 2: early 80's till mid/late 80's - 8 bit era, mainly Commodore 64

Era 3: mid/late 80's till early 90's: 16 bit era, Amiga and Atari ST

Era 4: early 90's till late 90's: PC era without 3D acceleration on GPUs (286/386/486/Pentium I)

Era 5: late 90's till mid 2000's: PC with 3D acceleration

Era 6: mid 2000's till now: Consoles (Xbox360/PS3/Wii) become more important than computers for gaming, games are ported from console to PC and not vice versa

Yeah, a lot of games that should be there, are not. For example, why I can vote for Halo 2 on the original xbox, but not but the original Halo: Combat Evolved?

At least Goldeneye made it into the list. That made me happy.

And why is Oblivion for the Xbox, and why isn't Morrowind there?

I don't like this... The only Nexus Game I could really vote for was Fallout 3, as it was the only one for PC. (Yes, I voted for the others as well, but I haven't really played them on anything else but the PC.)