Pirating to become a felony.

Keanumoreira

They would have to fundamentally change the way the internet works, and how people access the internet to enforce piracy laws on any grand scale, and the critics of such a draconian big brother intervention would be very vocal. I don't think either political party in America would support such a control over the internet, it would be too unpopular and risky for either of them to tread those waters.

They (in the US) tried to pass a law just this last fall for this. I can't remember what it was called, renamed something like the Internet Blacklist Bill, that would have allowed them the ability to shut down any site they deemed inappropriate, from torrent site to whatever site they might have deemed to be of "terrorist" nature. Thankfully, the bill wasn't passed, but someone will bring it up again.

I don't trust the government with that kind of authority to shut down sites they deem inappropriate. The internet is the last refuge of genuine freedom we actually have. Suppose they started shutting down internet sites because they were too critical of the government or the president? And then just turned around and labeled them "terrorists" to justify it. And then nobody would give it a second thought, because everyone is against terrorism right?

Did both of you somehow seem to forget what happened to the Wikileaks website that was forcibly shut down by the US government despite not being a US website? The US government doesn't need a law or a bill to do something if they want, they will shut down your web site, throw your ass in a cell, deny your constitutional rights and say it's a matter of nation security.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did both of you somehow seem to forget what happened to the Wikileaks website that was forcibly shut down by the US government despite not being a US website? The US government doesn't need a law or a bill to do something if they want, they will shut down your web site, throw your ass in a cell, deny your constitutional rights and say it's a matter of nation security.

Of course not I haven't forgotten. They shut a torrent site down, too, I've read somewhere but I don't remember it's name. They can, at times, do whatever they want. That's the way the world goes 'round.

However, that's the thing that links it to the OP, which is this. It's one thing to do something every so often, and I personally put no limits on what a government entity like the US can or could do if they so chose to, especially if these let's say "illegal" events on their part are somewhat separated in time. It is entirely another thing, though, to create an office that does specifically that and only that.

That's the difference with piracy as it might be treated if they take this next step. Now they send letters, maybe make a case or two against someone to drum up some Holy Electronic Fear and bring it a little bit more into the real world instead of locked away in the pc world, but if they set up offices to prosecute internet piracy, which is exactly what they would do if they could drum up the crime to another level, then the whole sack of beans would get a lot heavier. Cases would be brought up against people and sites in machine gun fashion, in barrages, and the whole game would change.

And here's another thing for you guys to consider: If it's considered a higher level of crime, and they presently don't have the proof they need to convict somebody, they will change the way that something works so that they will have the proof that they need, otherwise their initial step in saying that it's a higher crime would be unfounded. Since they already would have decided that it is not in fact unfounded, this would necessitate them having proof...or creating it.

Now until the FBI gets involved, most pirates worth their salt are untraceable. Some high level hackers are even untraceable to the FBI!

Why I know this: I've read a lot about piracy, especially when game developers were straying away from PC(which is the only "console" I have) because of this issue.

But Piracy becoming a felony doesn't really matter if it takes the FBI to catch most pirates. Might as well just leave it as it is. Remember, the game companies still make millions upon BILLIONS of dollars. Don't waste FBI funding money on this.

And besides, if the guy can pay bail or has a good lawyer, he can get free with cut internet connections, which can be fixed easy. So might as well leave it as it is, if they're stupid enough to get caught, then make them pay the 100,000 dollar fine. It's their fault they're idiotic enough to get caught.

I don't think it'll change much really. The Scene will continue to operate just as it has for decades. They won't care. The top of the food chain will be pretty much unaffected. Maybe a top dog goes to jail longer than before if caught, but that's the real trick now isn't it? It'll have a somewhat larger effect at the bottom end, with the "consumers" or "end users" of piracy if you will. Some might be be scared off. This makes for headlines, but is irrelevant in the long run. It's kinda like collaring the guy buying weed from a street dealer and ignoring the dealer himself, not to mention his supplier. People at the top need to be nailed for any appreciable effect to be had.

However, that's the thing that links it to the OP, which is this. It's one thing to do something every so often, and I personally put no limits on what a government entity like the US can or could do if they so chose to, especially if these let's say "illegal" events on their part are somewhat separated in time. It is entirely another thing, though, to create an office that does specifically that and only that.

They have created offices which "illegally" violate the constitution specifically and do so all the time. Just look at Guantanamo and prisoners without due process and intelligence agencies dedicated to tracking and dissecting all private mobile phone communication on the basis of national security. McCarthy would be proud.

IMO between Obamacare's obligatory insurance, obligatory auto insurance, my mobile phone conversations being monitored and media companies constantly stepping up security to protect their so called "potential income" from piracy I feel like the constitution is just a convenient cover like a twisted priest's confessional box for naughty choir boys. In other words, I think we're getting screwed.

More on topic... the likelihood for a crime to achieve felony status seems directly proportional to the government's inability to regulate it and how inversely corporations think it can effect them.

They have created offices which "illegally" violate the constitution specifically and do so all the time. Just look at Guantanamo and prisoners without due process and intelligence agencies dedicated to tracking and dissecting all private mobile phone communication on the basis of national security. McCarthy would be proud.

IMO between Obamacare's obligatory insurance, obligatory auto insurance, my mobile phone conversations being monitored and media companies constantly stepping up security to protect their so called "potential income" from piracy I feel like the constitution is just a convenient cover like a twisted priest's confessional box for naughty choir boys. In other words, I think we're getting screwed.

More on topic... the likelihood for a crime to achieve felony status seems directly proportional to the government's inability to regulate it and how inversely corporations think it can effect them.

I agree with most of that but I still don't know why people think "obamacare" violates the Constitution.

Once again, can't some cases of piracy already be a felony?

18 U.S.C. §2319 (as referenced by 17 USC 506.)

There ya go.

I don't think any "consumers" have actually been convicted under it. Most times it gets settled out of court. Not many have the resources or desire to stand up and make the Mafiaa prove it. Easier to just fork over a few grand and be done with it.

Anyway in looking up info for that, I stumbled across some news about what I think the OP is about. Sounds like the Obama administration wants to broaden the law to include streaming, which under current law could be considered more like a public performance (which I guess would mean it would receive a lighter punishment).