Why do snipers prefer bolt action rifles?

DarkeWolf

What did your grandfather do in the war? One uncle that went was a grunt in Japan, the other that took the rifle we're talking about was a tank driver. I forget what division tho :(

I had a couple of other uncles that went as well, but I didnt see them much as a kid, so I dont remember what they did in the war. :(

He was dropped in with the 101st Airborne to support the D-Day invasion, but he was wounded two months or so in and ended up spending most of the war in the hospital. He says he still managed to collect three German rifles, two of them he gave to buddies and one he kept. He still has it too, I asked him the other day about it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question.. is there a RIFLE with a cylender(as found in revolvers) like clip... where the whole cylender is replace able??

Nothing modern Gormonk. Revolver action is only popular because it's virtualy unbreakable, if you're thinking of a borderlands style rifle or carbine with a revolving magazine, one like that hasnt been made since 1912, with the exception of a 155mm armoured gun that Steyr makes and uses in it's light tank, which has dual revolver magazines for increased fire-rate(other armoured guns are usualy breach-loaded)And secondly, the definition of a rifle is simply any gun with a corkscrew pattern carved into the barrel: two handed weapons arent all rifles, only those with rifling are.

Anyone else given thought to what a preloaded barrel would do in a sniper rifle? Preloaded barrels are becoming a very popular thing in experimental weaponry, just figured I'd bring em up here.