Seeking Modelers for Sword-Breaking Mod

HomoPuerRobustus

I am thinking about making a mod that simulates the brittleness of steel in medieval warfare, and I need some partners to handle the modeling. The idea was inspired by NOVA: Secrets of the Viking Sword, on why the Ulfbehrt was such a superior weapon. I've already written up a proof-of-concept plug-in to make sure that it is possible to perform the shattering operation (including preserving the player enchantments, name, and tempering bonus of the original weapon, for possible reforging), but my Nifscope skills are ... well ... I can get the program to open up on my computer, but that's about it. The vanilla game comes with broken iron sword parts, but right now, any other weapon shatters into a cast iron pot and a butter knife (albeit a butter knife that preserves the weapon's enchantment, name, and tempering bonus).

Before I get in too deep, however, I'd like to gauge community interest and the possibility of getting help on the meshes/textures side of things. Is this a mod that you would like to have? What sort of features do you think it should have, beyond the simple break mechanic? Most importantly, does anyone think they could help take the existing weapon meshes and textures, split them in two (a shaft and a head to go flying), and get some credit when the mod is completed?

Sounds really interesting. At one point there was a shield breaking mod, but it was only done for one mod, because it was a fair amount of work. That said, I'd definitely be interested and I'm sure others would be too.