Skyrim System

So I'm saving up for a new system to purchase in the next several weeks and I want it to run Skyrim and other games coming out this year (in addition to mods, etc). I started as a PC gamer then switched to consoles for the last several years.

Even though there hasn't been an official list published by Bethesda, over at www.systemrequirements.com they've posted:

Recommended System Requirements

* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz

* RAM: 3 GB

* HDD: 15 GB free disk space

* Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory

* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible

* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Supported Graphics Cards:

nVidia 9800 GTX or higher

First off - thoughts? Accurate from what you've seen of the game? If you haven't seen the trailer (though I can't see how that's possible) - click

I'm budgeting between about $1500 for the machine. I'm also a complete noob in the latest machines and specs (anything from the last several years... so pretty much everything)...

Thanks in advance!

$1500 is only overkill if you personnally think its overkill.

To the OP

Buy the best you can get for the budget you allow yourself.

Well, then I "personnally" consider spending $1500 to play a game that will be maxed out by a $900 computer overkill.

Well, then I "personnally" consider spending $1500 to play a game that will be maxed out by a $900 computer overkill.

But if the OP wants a new system to last 2 or 3 years then he or she is going to want to get the maximum horsepower they can get their hands on, theres games out there now that can bring some pretty hefty systems to their knees, what are things going to be like in a couple of years time ?

To the OP

Best advice I can give is:

Don't skimp on your PSU, everything depends on it.

Buy a motherboard that will let you Crossfire or SLI at a later date.

Pick a case with plenty of room, good cable management and good cooling options and remember, flashy lighting costs money but doesn't improve performance.

Consider AMD CPU's, they give you serious value for money.

SSD drives are small and expensive but performance wise make standard hard drives seem like an agricultural device.

Pick a graphics card that you think will do everything you want and remember that you can crossfire or sli at a later date.

Hope you enjoy your build.

I've got that Outstanding setup without the SSD with the 6970 and it's... well, outstanding.

And it's around the 1000$ mark, depending on where you buy it.

I recommend it

Btw, do you already have any HDD or CD/DVD? Because there's just no reason to buy a new one for a new computer if you have a working one ready.

Edited by Nysba

Crysis doesn't need a lot of power TBH. Plus in my opinion the graphics look 10x better than Crysis and Crysis 2.

wat.

http://cdn.manapool.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Screenshot-Giant.jpg

vs

http://i.imgur.com/fRNXW.jpg

Edited by urbex