OBSE Loader won't run from shortcut

predcon

Ok, so, if I create a shortcut to obse_loader.exe and place it on my desktop, and then run the program from that shortcut, a DOS shell window will open up and hang for thirty seconds, and then I get the error message (inside the shell)

"Process::InstallHook: waiting for thread = WAIT_TIMEOUT
Couldn't inject dll."

Followed by a popup with the standard "Yellow Hazard Triangle With Exclamation Mark" saying "Couldn't inject dll". However, if I run obse_loader.exe directly from the \Oblivion directory, then the game loads without incident. I can also run the game successfully from the "Launch Oblivion" command in the Oblivion Mod Manager. I've made sure the shortcut has Admin security permissions, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Ok, so, if I create a shortcut to obse_loader.exe and place it on my desktop, and then run the program from that shortcut, a DOS shell window will open up and hang for thirty seconds, and then I get the error message (inside the shell)

"Process::InstallHook: waiting for thread = WAIT_TIMEOUT
Couldn't inject dll."

Followed by a popup with the standard "Yellow Hazard Triangle With Exclamation Mark" saying "Couldn't inject dll". However, if I run obse_loader.exe directly from the \Oblivion directory, then the game loads without incident. I can also run the game successfully from the "Launch Oblivion" command in the Oblivion Mod Manager. I've made sure the shortcut has Admin security permissions, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Your shortcut must have the game directory (where obse_loader is found) as it's 'Start In' folder. Eg. if your shortcut is:

C:\Games\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe

then the shortcut's 'Start In' folder must be:

C:\Games\Oblivion

I know how to make a shortcut. The problem is that this is a shortcut that is just now failing to operate correctly. It's always worked correctly for as long as I've had it on my desktop. It doesn't matter anyway, since it's working correctly again now. My guess is that something in my OS' Startup queue was causing a severe RAM or virtual memory thrashing drain or something. After I rebooted a couple times, the shortcut functioned normally again.

Have you moved anything except the shortcut from the folder where you created it? If so, the shortcut is broken and points to the wrong location. It points to the original location. Delete it.

Find the current location of the program you want to make a shortcut to. Test it to make sure that it actually works.

Create the shortcut - Test it while it is still in that folder also. Now, move the shortcut to the new location (do not move any of the original program)

Test the shortcut in the new location.