Wrye Bash and Oblivion failing to Launch

wollam11

I just installed Wyre Bash because I wanted a Mod that required it and Python (I'm not really sure what to do with either). But, now I can't launch Oblivion. I've tried launching it from the OBSE loader, from the Oblivion loader, and from the Wyre Bash itself. No dice. This all happened after I was looking how to solve a meshes issue I noticed after installing about a dozen mods I liked. On the advice of the Elder Scrolls Wiki, I clicked BSA Redirection - hoping that would clear up the meshes errors.

PS: Wrye Bash, as I understand it, says there are no mod conflicts.

(I'm not really sure what to do with either).

This really needs to be addressed first. What does it mean, exactly?

I don't know what Python is for and the only thing I know about Wrye Bash is it sets the order that the .esp/.esm files are uploaded or whatever.

I don't know what Python is for and the only thing I know about Wrye Bash is it sets the order that the .esp/.esm files are uploaded or whatever.

Python is a programming language. Wrye Python, which is what you need to install for Wrye Bash, is a set of Python libraries that WB needs to function.

Wrye Bash is not about setting load orders. BOSS is better, and designed for that purpose. Wrye Bash is like a Swiss Army Knife of utilities, and once you get to know it, it is THE most useful tool in your Oblivion modding arsenal. One of it's prime functions is the creation of a Bashed Patch (read the help file for more information), which allows many mods that would not normally work together to function correctly by tying all conflicts into one patch. Some major overhauls actually require a Bashed Patch.

I'm learning the difference: I downloaded BOSS since I last posted.

So, any idea why I can't launch Oblivion?

If I uninstalled, then re-installed what effect would that have on all the mods I downloaded? Would I be able to just put the .esm/.bsa files back into the Data folder? And would that make a difference anyway?

Edited by wollam11

If you right click on your Oblivion shortcut and select 'Properties', what does it say in the 'Target' box on the shortcut tab?

OK, well that rules out Windows' UAC. If you double click on the launcher directly (in Windows Explorer) do you get the same result?

OK, well that rules out Windows' UAC. If you double click on the launcher directly (in Windows Explorer) do you get the same result?

The OblivionLauncher Application in the Oblivion file?

Yes.

That sounds like you have somehow arrived at a corrupt installation. Your best bet now is to uninstall and reinstall Oblivion. Don't forget any official patches before you start reinstalling mods.