[Windows 10] Huge FPS drop with ENB

Helixien

Okay, so I upgraded to Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago and since I did, I had a FPS drop from around 15-20fps in Skyrim when I use an ENB. But before I get into that, here is my setup:

• Windows 10 Pro (64x)
  • Intel i7 4790 with 4.00Ghz (water cooled)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Zotac GTX 970

I have already been using the Win10 Previews since the first was released and I never had any problems with Skyrim or any ENB! In fact, I had even more fps (around 3-5) then with Windows 8.1.

I had Skyrim running at 1920x1080 with 2K-1K mods (I had a folder the size of 19GB just for textures) and the performance version of Kountervibe with DoF disabled and I got 40-50 fps in-game. In comabt I may droped under 40fps, but never under 30fps!

To see what I mean, here are some screenshots:

For me, this was the perfect setup. I loved it.

Now I had to upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 and suddenly, Skyrim was literally broken for me. I still get the normal fps when I run it completely vanilla (80-120fps), but as soon as I use an ENB, no matter which I get 30-33 fps, sometimes even 38fps. And I am talking about vanilla Skyrim with an ENB installed the way it should be installed (followed STEPS guide) and I get only 30-33 fps......... The 970 is fine, other games run like a charm! Witcher 3 has even improved!

And before you even ask, yes I have tried the following:

1. completely reinstalled Skyrim
  2. downloaded the latest drivers
  3. used a ddl from the older enbs
  4. installed the DX packages from June 2010
  5. Installed the DX packeges from the Skyrim folder
  6. deleted my whole Skyrim folder.
  7. made sure my monitor is set to 60hz.
  8. Made sure nothing is running in the background.
  9. hell, I even reinstalled MY WHOLE DAMN SETUP :(

Nothing worked! I have no idea where the problem is! I have googled and found no solution, nor many people with my problem.

So please! PLEASE IN THE NAME OF TALOS SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

I am happy for ANY idea on how to fix it whatsoever!

• 1 month later...

ENB won't be fixed. Boris has pretty much stated he doesn't want to be involved with Windows 10.

At least you can still play the game. I can't ever play Skyrim again because the dynamic refresh rate of my GSync screen normally triggers the physics bug in Skyrim. ENB had the only proper fix for that bug.

Edited by yunage

• 1 month later...

This cant be right. I get better performance in win10 and my custom system wont have bar of win8, win8 just bsod every 5 min and win10 worked out of the box. Ill say that ive had some strange happenings lately but i use ab ultra ENB, vividian 7, and no performance problems there.

Slowman, can you post your enblocal settings please?

HI, first to nothing... thank you, I think my PC is a Beast, so It's like I cannot accept a 40FPS performance.

MY specs...
core i7 6600k

nvidia GTX 970 4GB VRAM

16GB of DDR4 RAM 2400Mhz

It's very weird because my FPS seems to be locked at 43, only looking to the sky or on interiors can reach 60FPS, but i don't have any limiter, only Vsync forced by nvidia control panel, but turning it off doesn't help too. Previously I played with higher performance on Windows 10, with my old AMD FX 8350, but when I upgraded to the 6700K, I had to reinstall windows again and now I cant reach the same performance level, it was like 50 FPS average, with a less powerful CPU.

ENBLOCAL.INI

========================================================================================================

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_smaa.dll
[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true
[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true
[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0
[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=9728
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false
[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false
[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0
[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num / 106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115
[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=60.0
[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=true
EnableTransparencyAA=false
[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false
[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0
END
=============================================================================================

Well thexsettings are good, however, get rid of vsync in control panel and enable ipresentinterval in skyrim ini to 1 and also set vsync true in enb. After all the combinations of vsync and prerendered frames/buffering i tried, simply a 1 frame buffer and vsync in this way offer the best performance and eliminate physics bug and tearing. This applies for both my 980ti and my 7970ghz.

Otherwise, like said, this issue seems deeper. Hardware deeper.

Okay, so I upgraded to Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago and since I did, I had a FPS drop from around 15-20fps in Skyrim when I use an ENB. But before I get into that, here is my setup:

• Windows 10 Pro (64x)
  • Intel i7 4790 with 4.00Ghz (water cooled)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Zotac GTX 970

I have already been using the Win10 Previews since the first was released and I never had any problems with Skyrim or any ENB! In fact, I had even more fps (around 3-5) then with Windows 8.1.

I had Skyrim running at 1920x1080 with 2K-1K mods (I had a folder the size of 19GB just for textures) and the performance version of Kountervibe with DoF disabled and I got 40-50 fps in-game. In comabt I may droped under 40fps, but never under 30fps!

To see what I mean, here are some screenshots:

For me, this was the perfect setup. I loved it.

Now I had to upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 and suddenly, Skyrim was literally broken for me. I still get the normal fps when I run it completely vanilla (80-120fps), but as soon as I use an ENB, no matter which I get 30-33 fps, sometimes even 38fps. And I am talking about vanilla Skyrim with an ENB installed the way it should be installed (followed STEPS guide) and I get only 30-33 fps......... The 970 is fine, other games run like a charm! Witcher 3 has even improved!

And before you even ask, yes I have tried the following:

1. completely reinstalled Skyrim
  2. downloaded the latest drivers
  3. used a ddl from the older enbs
  4. installed the DX packages from June 2010
  5. Installed the DX packeges from the Skyrim folder
  6. deleted my whole Skyrim folder.
  7. made sure my monitor is set to 60hz.
  8. Made sure nothing is running in the background.
  9. hell, I even reinstalled MY WHOLE DAMN SETUP :sad:

Nothing worked! I have no idea where the problem is! I have googled and found no solution, nor many people with my problem.

So please! PLEASE IN THE NAME OF TALOS SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

I am happy for ANY idea on how to fix it whatsoever!

Hey, I have another post asking for a similar issue, I think I found some improvement by tweaking my skyrim.ini, I saw you have a core i7, so you should give it a try.

Take a look at what I just posted:

Hi, I have some improvement, I don't like to touch My skyrim.ini values but I had to. I changed previous values from the iNumHWThreads= section, because I think I had maybe some values tweaked for the AMD fx8350. So I read in this post someguy recomending this tweaks for an intel Core i7, and seems now the FPS are Higher.

This is the post on reddit: https://www.reddit.c..._actually_work/

And those are the values I changed; some people say you don't should touch anything, but anyway... you can give it a try.

[General]

iNumHWThreads=8

iHWThread6=7

iHWThread5=6

iHWThread4=5

iHWThread3=4

iHWThread2=1

iHWThread1=0

iAIThread2HWThread=3

iAIThread1HWThread=2

iRenderingThread2HWThread=1

iRenderingThread1HWThread=0