Petrification at Sunrise

InuyashaFE

I'm planning to add a new race to the game, but I need a petrification mod, a mod that turns the player to stone during sunrise, waits until nightfall, and returns them to normal. So far I haven't found anything.

So out of curiousity, is this something that would be possible? And would anyone be willing to do it?

You'd probably be looking at a bit of script work for that, and a time-based texture for the skin done in a similar way to the illuminated window scripts. You'd also need to define just how vulnerable or invulnerable such a race would be when in stone form, and also whether it's time or sunlight related (do they remain in normal form if indoors or underground, etc?)

I'm assuming the aim here is to end up with a Tolkienesque Troll type race, where sunlight causes a total freeze, but onw where darkness will restore mobility (unlike Tolkien's "Daylight take you!" approach). You might want to have a look at the MERP (Middle-Earth Role Playing) forums to see whether a troll race has already been done there

You'd probably be looking at a bit of script work for that, and a time-based texture for the skin done in a similar way to the illuminated window scripts. You'd also need to define just how vulnerable or invulnerable such a race would be when in stone form, and also whether it's time or sunlight related (do they remain in normal form if indoors or underground, etc?)

The aim here is to make it time-related, so it would definitely occur anywhere. I've seen the Midas Transmute and Freeze Ray from Midas Magic make things freeze in place, so I'd love for that to be scripted in. But looking at Midas Magic, the scripts are greek to me. ^_^'' So I can't learn anything from looking at the transmute and freeze scripts.

The wait should usually be automatic, too, but there's going to be a problem with enemies being close by. It won't allow it, but maybe causing the enemies to have their damage reflected, which would mean the stone form would have to be tangible, which shouldn't be a problem. We could easily put in 50% reflect damage.

I'm assuming the aim here is to end up with a Tolkienesque Troll type race, where sunlight causes a total freeze, but onw where darkness will restore mobility (unlike Tolkien's "Daylight take you!" approach). You might want to have a look at the MERP (Middle-Earth Role Playing) forums to see whether a troll race has already been done there

Well, yes, a gargoyle actually. I'm running OBSE v19, though, so wings are going to be a bit of a problem. I just need to either get help on how to script the petrification, or have it done for me as a request. Either way I'm giving credit.

I've looked, so far nothing.

Edited by InuyashaFE

Petrification is only useful up to a certain point - after that the stone breaks. How are you intending that to work, or are you going for full invulnerability?

Petrification is only useful up to a certain point - after that the stone breaks. How are you intending that to work, or are you going for full invulnerability?

If I could, I would have them break into pieces once their health reaches 0, but I'm not sure if that's something that could be scripted, we'd need tons of Nif models.

Maybe add a stone texture that has cracks in it, and have the player fall over?

That would be great incentive for the player to watch their surroundings and fine good surroundings for the day.

Edited by InuyashaFE