Political Correctness,

phoneyLogic

Political Correctness has gone too far when:

* I get in trouble for calling a person who cannot hear "deaf"; they are hearing impaired.

* I get in trouble for calling a person who cannot see "blind"; they are vision impaired.

* I get in trouble for calling a person who cannot speak "mute"; they are vocally challenged.

* I get in trouble for referring to a dark-skinned Australian Native an "Aboriginal"; they are "Koori" (which is the name of the racial stock, but let's ignore the fact that the original meaning of the word "aboriginal" was "Native", shall we?).

* I get in trouble for telling someone it's their fault they tripped over the placement gap in the footpath, and not the fault of the local council; after all, dont you have eyes in the front of your head so that you can see what you're about to walk over and thereby avoid tripping in the first place?

* I get in trouble for referring to a large (read: fat) woman as "being of solid build".

Political Correctness means I'm no longer allowed to call a Spade a Spade; these days I must call a Spade a long-handled earth relocating device.

There are lots more examples like those.

Edited by Sync182

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Grannywils

I don't think anyone denies what has happened in the past in regards to discrimination, certainly not myself, but from my perspective I am dealing with the here and now, and saying that we should deal with current situations and real individuals. As Aurelius has said elsewhere, those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. That is not in question. But constantly "visiting the sins of the fathers" on the current generation is counter productive. Learn from past horrors, and then move to creating a better world NOW.

@BlackBaron2

I could not agree more in regard to the "do unto others, as you would have them do to you" attitude. I put it into practice every day as it isn't just ingrained into me anyway as part of who I am, it is actually part of my job description. And I have had to challenge the attitude of people across the spectrum of attitude problems - a client racially abusing one colleague who is black, a client threatening another colleague because he (the colleague)is homosexual, and a client refusing to deal with me because I am female and apparently a Crusader (sorry love, I said, that was my goodness knows how many times great grandad...)

@myrmaad

Why are his examples silly? Certainly in the UK, where I come from, such examples are not outlandish, they are the norm. My ninety five year old aunt is blind, and I remember reading out a letter to her that used the term "visually impaired persons such as yourself..." and she said "What do they mean by that?" "They mean you're blind, Auntie" said I "well why don't they just say so?" said she, irritated.

I prefer honesty.

One of the biggest things that annoys me is that we always have to be politically correct about race.

"African American" is completely incorrect, just f***ing say black.

In short, when your so over sensitive to a point that it takes away honesty, being politically correct sucks.

For all I know, each and every one of you on this particular thread may be an exception to what I am about to say; but in society today it seems as though there is just too much interest in the packaging and not enough attention being paid to what is inside each individual. If we could change that, the debate on political correctness could fade away into the distance.

I completely agree. I don't care about body parts, body size, skintone, facial features, sexual orientation, gender identity or pretty much any other superficial characteristic. All I have to say is that I think we should all treat each other the way we'd want to be treated--unfortunately, that view isn't very fashionable. :dry:

But you and some of the other more pro pc posters are the ones who are constantly categorising and stereotyping people :unsure:

Edited by greywaste

So, saying it's not OK to be horrible to someone else and call them names just for being different is bad? :wallbash:

OK, who's knocked logic unconscious this time? :tongue:

So, saying it's not OK to be horrible to someone else and call them names just for being different is bad? :wallbash:

OK, who's knocked logic unconscious this time? :tongue:

You are not just asking for legal equality, social civility and a lack of discrimination. The PC camp seems to want all others to admit to the righteousness of their cause and when ohers don't acquiesce to that notion they are referred to as social troglodytes that want to "live in the 1950's".Most of the stereotyping has not been posted by the non PC adoptive group, in fact most opposing posters have gone out of their way not to do so. Which in my mind perfectly exemplifies the coercive nature of the politically correct thought police attitude.I have no illusions that you will see in that light since you are convinced of the total righteous of your cause, so which one of us has the closed mind?

*sigh* Ok. I give up, having a viewpoint I've denounced from the start continuously ascribed falsely to me is getting a bit tiresome.

It's also annoying if I'm honest about it since I've had the crap kicked out of me on four separate occasions when I was younger on account of being supposedly gay (my clothes choice and hair most likely) nevermind two gay friends with missing teeth and facial scarring from their beatings. I'm not even going to bother going into what my friend who was born in Barbados went through.

So yeah, it's getting tiresome. That and the non-sequitur responses.