Wanted to let people know that this modpack was floating around

Sepherose

I don't even know why this is a discussion... you steal my stuff, I am going to at least try to kick your ass.

Dick moves in mods. yeah right. I guess modders aren't allowed to incorperate some mischief, but by all means, its ok for anyone to just upload your stuff on another site.

:wacKo: go ahead, steal my s#*!. YAY. good job!!

Sometimes, this internet s#*! just doesn't make sense. In one thread, there's a first generation conservative from africa, here we gots the just give it away now club.

If you think I'm a liberal, I have guns. If you think I'm a conservative, people that have children should be able to decide whether to have them.

Life is too short not to be a realist.

I don't even know why this is a discussion... you steal my stuff, I am going to at least try to kick your ass.

Dick moves in mods. yeah right. I guess modders aren't allowed to incorperate some mischief, but by all means, its ok for anyone to just upload your stuff on another site.

:wacko: go ahead, steal my s***. YAY. good job!!

Sometimes, this internet s*** just doesn't make sense. In one thread, there's a first generation conservative from africa, here we gots the just give it away now club.

If you think I'm a liberal, I have guns. If you think I'm a conservative, people that have children should be able to decide whether to have them.

Life is too short not to be a realist.

It's like if you wrote a book and said 'I want it to only be distributed to X public library', and then some guy goes and brings it to Y library. You can ask the guy to take it out of Y library (and if they don't budge you can be more forceful), however I don't agree with any author that would slap some kind of electric padlock on his book that asks for your Library X Card, especially if they write the other half of the book in gibberish code so that the reader can't finish your work.

Also I've completely lost you on this last part.

Unless you have also published and distributed said book, you have no control as to where the book ends up. You give up all control over that as soon as you hand it off to your publisher. Mod authors write, edit, publish and distribute their own work. They have the first and final say as to where it ends up for distribution (Bethesda's control over their games not withstanding). There should be no need for the author to ask someone else to remove their work from another distribution point and/or derivative work, as that should not have happened in the first place. It is theft, plain and simple. In my opinion, anyone that believes otherwise, is part of the problem and not the solution.

Unless you have also published and distributed said book, you have no control as to where the book ends up. You give up all control over that as soon as you hand it off to your publisher. Mod authors write, edit, publish and distribute their own work. They have the first and final say as to where it ends up for distribution (Bethesda's control over their games not withstanding). There should be no need for the author to ask someone else to remove their work from another distribution point and/or derivative work, as that should not have happened in the first place. It is theft, plain and simple. In my opinion, anyone that believes otherwise, is part of the problem and not the solution.

In my analogy the author is assumed to be self-publishing/distributing a free work to be put in a public library, only for it to end up in 2 libraries instead of 1. Sure it shouldn't happen, but for a mod author to put in locking mechanisms to punish this (it's highly unlikely to prevent it) this seems ridiculous to me.

A I said in my opening post, the author of the compilation was very amicable to me asking what I did of him for retroactive permission from me for my work. I don't see why he wouldn't have the same attitude towards others. Beyond that, kicking someones ass over digital redistribution isn't really justified, even if it wasn't a legitimate use. There are legal routes to take without wanting/trying to cause bodily harm. Also, in response to the suggestion that end users would deserve it for using a compilation such as the above linked, I don't really agree with this. Many end users don't understand that the compilation has been set up without permission. It would be akin to someone stealing a DVD player, giving it as a gift to someone else that didn't know it was stolen, and then the person that received the gift being punished for having the stolen DVD player. It wouldn't be right.

Finally I'd like to address the issue of quality/compatibility of mod compilations like this one. Typically, yes, the compilations are riddled with issues because the individual putting them together has little understand, care, or skill to properly make it work together. This one IS different in that sense as the person that put them all together took time to test, refine, and alter things as needed to lead to a smooth experience. Doesn't make it right, but is something to at least acknowledge.