Error Code 1722

I'm trying to install Borderlands again to my computer because I loved the game. Unfortunately, it won't install. This is the order of what happens when I run the installer.

First, it opens this window and takes a very few short seconds to finish.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/Error1-1.png?t=1301102027

After that this shows up and only lasts for a millisecond (Took three tries to get a screenshot).

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/Error15.png?t=1301102028

And then this:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/Error2.png?t=1301102027

Then the install just fails. I've tried research into fixing it, and it's apparently related to Windows Installer (And Java as one source says). I haven't got a clue what to do with Windows Installer (I had a topic earlier regarding just that), but when try to uninstall Java so I can try reinstalling it, it gives me error 2203.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/Error3.png?t=1301102244

Does anyone know what this is so I can play Borderlands again and remember what a fun shooter is?

I can provide more details on this if anyone knows how I can get them.

The thread there is where I got most of the solutions I tried. From what I could tell they haven't found any solution.

Maybe I'm doomed to having to play Borderlands on a laptop.

That error appears to be associated with the C++ 2008 runtime. The installer is corrupt. If you can,d choose to skip it, and download it from the Microsoft website afterwards.

Although, if you play many games on that pc, it is highly likely that you already have that runtime installed.

Wait, if there is a problem with EVERY windowes installer package, try going into Run, then type 'msiexec /regserver' without the quotes.

Edited by CommanderCrazy

Ok, this is for 2203. Here goes.

- Open Windows Explorer. Browse to your C:\Windows

- Go to the Tools > Options menu, and select View. Select 'Show hidden files and folders' button, and uncheck the 'Hide protected operating system files' checkbox.

If you are on Windows XP, you may also have to disable 'Simple file sharing (recommended)' to see the Security tab in the next step.

- Right-click on the Installer folder and choose Properties. Click the Security tab.

- Verify that the following permissions are set and that these user groups are listed:

ADMINISTRATORS group:

Full control (all boxes checked)

EVERYONE group:

Read & Execute

List Folder Contents

Read

SYSTEM group:

Full control (all boxes checked)

If one of these user groups is not listed, you may have to ADD it by clicking the Add button in the upper-right corner of the Security Properties dialog box.

- Make sure the checkbox at the bottom of the Security Properties dialog box, marked 'Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object' is checked.

- Follow the above steps for C:\TEMP and/or WINDOWS/TEMP and the share/directory to which you are installing the product.

If the file named in the error message does exist in the folder that is listed in the error message, make sure that it is not set as 'read-only'. To do this, right-click on the file, and choose Properties. Verify that the 'read-only' property is unchecked.

/copypasta

Edited by CommanderCrazy

• 3 weeks later...

Strange but nothing seems to be working. I just bought a Steam copy of it from the sale in the hopes it'd function. Gives me this error.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/Error4.jpg?t=1302904252

Anyone have a clue what it means?

Try uninstalling any and all versions of the Visual C++ 2005 and 2008, give it a reboot, and then try to reinstall borderlands using the non-steam version; the installer will install fresh versions if it detects that they are not installed. Also be sure you're running the installer as an admin, that your user account has admin privileges, and that you turn off your anti-virus before installing (some anti-viruses, such as Mcafee, are overzealous and will sometimes block installers).

THe problem I have with reinstalling Visual C++ is that it gives me a 2203 error when I try.

I think I just found the solution at this site. It's not giving me a 2203 error any more, so I managed to reinstall Visual C++ and a few other things for good measure. I have a hope this will work. I'll report when Steam finishes redownloading Borderlands.

Just a suggestion to attempt, if you have a problem with the redistributable, go onto Microsoft's website and download Visual Studio Express Edition, it's free and should install the Visual C++ and a few others too. I vaguely remember solving a problem this way in the past, though I've never played Borderlands.... yet.