Do you act like a Normal Person in OBLIVION?

F4OST

I try the advanced search (and mod description contains in the regular flavour search). Sometimes I get lucky before my patience runs out. Most of the time I revert to the tried and true guy method ... click on this one ... see if it's the right one ... hit the back button ...

And I am gratified my Lady/Lord is pleased. Long live the Queen/King!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Telyn - Talking of warding properties, garlic planted on places you interred most characters should prevent them rising as a vampire. Werewolves, however, we'd need wolfbane. It MIGHT make sense to add preventative items to the corpse's inventory to "keep them dead", or at least built the idea in as a later expansion.

Accidental production of undead: I suggest that the most suitable way to deal with this is pick up on the "death of an innocent" as used to start the Dark Brotherhood questline. The general concept of "uneasy spirits" fits well with a character being haunted by the ghosts of those he killed without warning, or those with unfinished business. And as a really fun twist, how about rigging it so if YOU kill the adoring fan, you are haunted by him until you can find a way to lay his ghost to rest?

Burial practices: Cremation would lead to a minimal number of physical undead, and a lot of bonemeal :) If you think back to the Morrowind tombs, often opening the urn with cremation ash in would trigger a ghost - and that makes sense. Suspected werewolves would be buried with wolfbane, and more would be planted around tomb doors (I'm thinking the old Lon Chaney, Jr. "Wolfman" movies too here). Suspected vampires were buried with stakes through the heart, and/or garlic necklaces, and often a brick between their teeth. Any suspected potential undead were also buried face-down so that they could only dig away from the surface. I believe there's a mod which gives killed undead a percentage chance to rise again - this may be a useful idea too. Mass graves have great potential in a mod with a mad necromancer and a zombie invasion plot - endless waves of the undead raised from the pit. I certainly think there's mileage in adding a "disturb the tomb, disturb the dead" script, with a chance that you will have to fight the occupant if you open a coffin.

Plague: The simplest plague to mimic would be Bubonic, as there appear to be plenty of rats around. Maybe a specific "black rat" which carries plague would be a good idea - it could have a specific script added to check probability of contracting it. You could also have a "rat population" script that could check for cats and other rat-killers, and keep the population down if there are cats around (Yes, we'd need to add a variation on a cats & rats mod). Plenty of long-term things to think about, but I suggest nothing immediate, it's too reliant on a "working world" to make it a really good mod. One problem with massed death is the lack of a usable wagon - you have to haul out the dead somehow and currently you can't do that easily. Also the population of places like the Imperial City is way too low for a pre-plague set-up, the density of people is more like a modern housing estate than a primitive near-slum. It's a shame we have no children in Oblivion - kids playing and singing "Ring-o-Roses" would be nicely chilling and drop an early hint as to the reason for a rash of unexplained deaths.

Maybe a "Pied Piper of Hamelin" quest to remove the rats from the town?

P.S. Is there a prize for the most thoroughly hijacked thread on the forum? We may well be able to compete for it!

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Those who have hijacked this thread on a "realism" discussion apologise, and have moved the realism mods discussion to Keeping it Real. Normal service on the roleplaying thread may now be resumed.

Sorry once again

Mark

Edited by MarkInMKUK

In a few ways, I think I do. I've got a lot of clothes and armor that I swap out when I feel that I've worn them "long enough." It's also situational, like casual, formal, and armors.

And while I've got a bag of holding mod, I do keep some food in my main inventory - enough for a day or so. I kinda wish there was a proper cooking mod, to make food with, like the Survival system that was put into New Vegas.

I also try to keep semi-regular sleep habits in-game, with proper timing (stay up until 2am in a dungeon or something, sleep until 10-11am). With the bloody mess mod and the bathing mod I find myself having my character bathe often, sometimes twice a day.

Edited by suidery

I'm starting a new run-through, with as many realism-enhancing mods as I can find/add installed. As the need for an aspect of realism occurs to me, I'll be adding it, to try and build up what (for me) is a realistic world. I'll also be role-playing as much as possible, and am running at a 1:1 timescale so I don't spend my entire gaming session eating. Which reminds me - several mods add eating and drinking requirements - recommendations please (either in the Keeping it "real" thread or via pm). Edited by MarkInMKUK

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't see the reason why I would act in-game. What's the use ? I have a real life to attend to, not an in-game life. So sleeping, eating, doing realistic things that doesn't actually change anything in the game I don't do it.

There is a very fascinating thing some people do called "role-playing"

I roleplay insomuch as I act like a movie/TV show/book character. I don't actively try to eat regularly or anything like that -- the only scheduled thing is that I tend to try to avoid traveling at night and will instead sleep through it (and vice-versa for my vampire, though that's for obvious reasons.) But each character I play, I consider to be part of a story, and they have their own distinct personality. And I try my best to act according to their personalities and motivations. I never play as myself -- it would be boring that way. That's also why I've never beaten the game, since with a good majority of my characters I'll outright pretend that the opening scene never happened (or use an alternative start mod.)

There are also little things I'll do -- like, I'll sometimes have my character do things like bow or nod at others, or stay hidden when it's unnecessary, or act differently during "cutscenes" (for example, when Martin first arrived at Cloud Ruler Temple, my "chaotic good" vampire character wouldn't feel right standing with the new Emperor and being hailed by the Blades, so he stood against a pillar and watched from the sidelines.) Just little details that make the characters feel more natural.

The last thing, I suppose, is that I absolutely NEVER wait for more than an hour. I always find somewhere to sleep or something to do. It's just so wrong to imagine the guy arriving a day early and then standing there in the same spot for hours on end.

Edited by okappa

Personally I don't see the reason why I would act in-game. What's the use ? I have a real life to attend to, not an in-game life. So sleeping, eating, doing realistic things that doesn't actually change anything in the game I don't do it.

There is a very fascinating thing some people do called "role-playing"

I like roleplaying in MUDs, but for Oblivion, I think I'm with Mysterious on this one. :-) At least for now.