Oblivion GOTY steam help!

IukJackI

I'm stumped ... does Steam let your uninstall and then reinstall games on the same machine? If so that would be my next suggestion (in case you got a corrupt download or similar). Worth trying before you spend more money.

Edit: sorry reread your post ... what about re-downloading it?

Yeah it does...but i've already tried. one person said it could i'm missing the registry...where is it usually kept? if that isn't the problem then the only solution i can see is just buying the disc. i dont think i got a corrupt download as i've reinstalled it LOADS of times.... thanks for you help though. :)

Here's an excerpt from bben46's uninstall/re-install guide:

Now to remove the registry entries that were left behind. If all else fails, this usually works to resurrect your game.

I do not recommend manually editing the registry unless you know what you are doing. A mistake here could make your entire computer unusable.

There are several good programs for removing left behind entries. The one I use is ccleaner. Be sure to reboot before using it, and again after. It is free and available here:

http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Once the registry is clean this would also be a good time to do a file clean up. Run the built in Windows 'Disk Cleanup' routine. If you used the ccleaner, most of this has already been done, but it won't hurt to do it anyway.

Not a bother at all. I was thinking more along the lines of the registry cleaning part of the guide (which is why I excerpted and linked). You should have a look through the guide and see how it compares with the uninstall method you have been using. Where available it's always best to use either the uninstall provided with the program or use the Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel. Just deleting folder leaves a mess in the registry rather than just a few crumbs left behind.

Not a bother at all. I was thinking more along the lines of the registry cleaning part of the guide (which is why I excerpted and linked). You should have a look through the guide and see how it compares with the uninstall method you have been using. Where available it's always best to use either the uninstall provided with the program or use the Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel. Just deleting folder leaves a mess in the registry rather than just a few crumbs left behind.

Hmm, control panel doesn't show oblivion..or any steam games for that matter. i'll use the registry cleaner then try to reacquire whatever it is stopping me from launching the game.

The 'any Steam games' part may be from moving your Steam folder. From my understanding of that Steam link I linked earlier you should get all them back to normal when you play them ... could be wrong though ... you're talking to the anti-Steam guy here.

The 'any Steam games' part may be from moving your Steam folder. From my understanding of that Steam link I linked earlier you should get all them back to normal when you play them ... could be wrong though ... you're talking to the anti-Steam guy here.

Hmm....don't think i can find oblivion anywhere. thanks though....might do a whole cleanup of steam...then use the registry cleaner. it sucks but thanks :(

Have you checked to be sure your computer can run the game?

Using the computer you plan to play the game on

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

You will find the various game we support

Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

Dragon Age listed as Dragon age

Fallout New Vegas as Fallout: New Vegas

Morrowind is not listed, However if you can run Oblivion at all it should run well on your system.

Note: TES V - Skyrim is not listed yet as no one knows what the final requirements will be yet.

Have you checked to be sure your computer can run the game?

Using the computer you plan to play the game on

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

You will find the various game we support

Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

Dragon Age listed as Dragon age

Fallout New Vegas as Fallout: New Vegas

Morrowind is not listed, However if you can run Oblivion at all it should run well on your system.

Note: TES V - Skyrim is not listed yet as no one knows what the final requirements will be yet.

Yeah im pretty certain i have the requirements to actually run the game, yet im not being allowed. thanks though :(

• 4 years later...
I've found a possible answer that can solve the greyed out Oblivion launcher.

When running BOSS, it said too that Oblivion wasn't detected. Process Monitor allowed me to find that BOSS was looking in WOW6432Node section of the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks]

Updating the keys of the registry files so that they are all inside the WOW6432Node section, results in BOSS and the Oblivion launcher now working properly for me.

For reference, here are the registry entries that are expected.

Make sure that the installed path is in the correct location for your machine, save the below text to a file called oblivion.reg and then run it to add the keys to your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion]
"Installed Path"="F:\\Games\\Oblivion\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion - Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion - Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine\1.00.0000]