How to remove omod files from OBMM without uninstalling them?

darksol

OBMM's way of omod file handling confuses me:

I have serveral omods installed, which are outdated. I would like to remove those omod files (just BUT I don't want any of the files they installed to be removed

since many of them have long since been replaced by newer files I installed manually.

Also I installed an omod package containing serveral esps, which I partially updated by overwriting them, but OBMM still thinks they belong to that omod package and keeps bugging me when I deactivate them.

I think I remember that, if I just remove the .omod file out of the "\obmm\mods" folder the related files seem to get uninstalled as well (at least that's what seemed to happen the last time I tried such a thing) when starting up OBMM again.

Can I somehow get rid of the whole omod file ownage (and the .omod files themselves which take up space for nothing) and just keep my data folder the way it is now?

How about making a backup of your Data folder and all it's contents, deactivate the mod with OBMM, restore your backed up Data folder (overwriting when prompted) and then manually delete what's necessary. Keeps what you want and OBMM should let you delete the de-activated omod file. Edited by Striker879

How about making a backup of your Data folder and all it's contents, deactivate the mod with OBMM, restore your backed up Data folder (overwriting when prompted) and then manually delete what's necessary. Keeps what you want and OBMM should let you delete the de-activated omod file.

That should probably work.. I guess I was just hoping for a "simpler" (meaning faster) solution, since my data folder is around 25GB big and copying that many files takes ages to complete... and that's not counting the time it actually takes to uninstall the mods. :)

> Removing the omod is never a good idea.

Well, I guess mixing omods with manually installed mods is never a good idea. Wish I had thought of that a few years ago when I still thought omods where a cool idea. *eg*

Edited by darksol

OMODs make life simpler if all you do is use OBMM but if you're like us and 'tweak' things a bit it creates more headaches than it's worth, in my opinion.

The whole point of OBMM is to make installing and removing mods easier and cleaner. A correctly formed OMOD will do a correct install of the mod. Here is where things get more complicated. Most people will be installing mods which overwrite portions of OMODs they have previously installed. Let's say I have installed an OMOD modA which retextures trees, and I later installed an OMOD called modB which rextures some but not all of the same trees modA touches. I want to uninstall the OMOD modA . What is actually in my data folder at this point is a mix of modA and modB. If I just uninstall install modA I may have problems with what remains of modB. so what I do is, disable both modA and modB. Then I can safely delete modA if I wish, and re-enable modB. ModB will install as if I had never had modA. I would then want to do bsa redirect if this mod needs it, run BOSS, and rebuild my bashed patch.

What if I installed a mod without making an OMOD and I now wish I had made an OMOD so I could remove it easily? Get the original mod and make an OMOD of it. Install the OMOD and let it overwrite any files you installed manually. The OMOD may be a black color, but don't worry about that. Just enable it and it will turn green. Those files you installed manually are now owned by the OMOD. You can now remove them all cleanly by disabling and then deleting the OMOD, remembering to make sure you disable any OMODs or mods which might have overwritten those files. Then re-enable those other OMODs and follow the procedure above. This method can be really useful if you tried to uninstall by hand and missed some files. Works for me, but if anyone feels this method is dangerous, please let me know why. I have never had problems doing it this way, but would be interested to know if others have.

I wouldn't really recommend getting rid of OBMM entirely because there are a lot of complex mods out there which use scripted OMODs for installation. Some mod authors will specifically tell you the mod is very complex so don't try to install it by hand. You can ignore that of course, at your possible peril.

Using your method I agree with you Telyn (and thank you for that clear description). I believe the OP's problem is that some of the omod files have been manually overwritten with non-omod files, that he would like to keep after deactivating and removing the omod. Problem is OBMM will remove those files when the omod is deactivated. I'm a mix and match, cobble as mash-up kinda' guy myself, which is why I could commiserate. For 99.99% of the population who don't share our disease OBMM and omod is the way to go, no doubt (although I can hear Hickory growling something about Wrye Bash :tongue: ).

One thing you can do is when you have one OMOD overwriting parts of another, you have the ability to deny any of those overwrites you do not want. As long as you have an overwrite you can select every single file individually for installation or rejection. I'm very much a mix and match person myself, but OBMM and Wrye Bash together make that much easier. I would suggest if the OP has overwritten the OMODs, that the safest and easiest thing to do is make OMODs out of the mods he used to overwrite those OMODs he/she wants to be rid of. With that done, you can mix the mods any way you like (within reason) or remove one or several of them without a mess.

Heya!

Striker879 summed up my "problems" quite nicely.

While the suggestions of Enthusiast make sense if you rely heavily on using omods, I can't really do that:

I still regularly update my data folder and trying to make an omod out of the 200+ non-omods I already have installed is an insane amount of work.

I also modify mods them whenever I feel like it and thus the omod would actually not be up-to-date anymore.

And the 2 main reason:

I really don't remember how many "conflicting" mods I installed over the past years (I always overwrote Oblivion's data folder with a backup whenever I got a new computer ever since the first install in 2006) and don't have the sources anymore in many cases to do the repackaging. (meaning I have probably quite a large amount of unneeded meshes and textures.. *sigh*).

Also my harddrive with Oblivion on it is rather full and that's why I'd rather not duplicate all those files in an omod directory. (Although I think you can specify another "mods" folder path, I'm not sure it can be on another hardrive).

Just to clarify my earlier remark: I don't want to get rid of OBMM (i heavily use the mod ordering and conflict detection). It's just that the omod concept is not useful for the mix-and-match type of user unless you are very disciplined and tidy when installing mods.

Because I just mentioned it: There's not really a program out there which can find unreferenced resources in your data folder or is there? (And yes I know that's exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't need if I had used omods).

Edited by darksol