NPC won't appear in game

Alphedar

I just created a clone of TestORMale (changed to female but not High Elf) and dropped it into my game with a couple of AI packages. I had no issues. Does the savegame you're loading for testing purposes have CTD issues?

I usually do the same thing with AI packages ... start with one of the existing ones and then modify it for my own purpose after giving it a new name. Just take one of the aaa vanilla packages for the same thing you want (i.e. eat for eat, sleep for sleep etc.). I learned how to activate the chapel altars, sit and read etc. by looking through the packages for examples of what I wanted to do and then modified for my use (guard patrols were the toughest to get my head around ... won't work for me until I did it exactly the same as the examples I was using).

I always keep this in mind ... I don't learn a thing from being right. My mistakes are the only opportunity I have for learning, and I usually need help getting a leg up.

Edit: Until you get comfortable with what you're doing, try doing one thing at a time and then play test to see how it works (i.e. work on AI packages and then when that's working move on to path gridding).

Edited by Striker879

not the savegame itself but just when i start up the game

OK ... just looking to eliminate possibilities for CTD.

i just redid all the AI, gave them unique Editor ID's and pointed them to the location of a bed, a chair, and a throne, but when i went to the castle and explored all the rooms, NOTHING, she wasn't there! sorry for so many problems, but if i get this to work this WILL be an awesome mod! :thumbsup:

okay to clarify iv'e done EVERYTHING right, my packages are the right package type, they have the duration i want, and they point to where i want my npc to eat, sleep, sit, and read. but after all that work STILL NOTHING!!!. i also checked with the Construction Set wiki and even those examples compared to mine were right. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, PLEASE HELP!!! thanks for all your help and sorry for me being such a nuisance :D

Getting your NPCs to use beds and chairs requires that the particular bed or chair is set to 'Persistent'. In the right hand pane of the Cell window scroll down and find the chair you want to use and right click and edit (or find it in the Render window and double left click). Tick Persistent Reference near the bottom of the Reference window and give it a unique Reference Editor ID in the box at the top. Edit your AI package and on the Location tab tick Location and Near Reference. With your bed or chair visible in the Render window click the Select Reference in Render Window button. Your cursor will turn into a red crosshair. Move it over your chair or bed and double left click (the crosshair will turn white when it's over something that is valid for selection ... if it stays red it means you can't select that object, probably because it's not set to persistent in my experience). To get them to sit and read you edit a Use Item At package and on the Target tab select the Any Object radio button and either Object ID: NONE and Object Type: Books or Object ID and select a book you know they have in their inventory.

Edit: If it's a bed or chair from the vanilla game you may need to set the ownership on the Ownership tab of the Reference window (the one where you set it to persistent)

Edited by Striker879