Companion Texture Mismatch

BlinkRiddle

Okay I know this is a common problem and I don't know if its the lack of sleep or what that is keeping me from finding an already existing solution. The problem is that I went in and changed the face of Rose of Sharon Cassidy and now the skin complexion between her head and her body doesn't match up, I know there's gonna be a neck seam but this is a blatant difference in skin coloration. Anyone know whats up with this? Everything matched up fine before I made the changes.

Hm. Try opening Fallout_default.ini in your NV folder, find the line that says bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles and make sure it is set to 1. It should look like this

bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1

Hm. Try opening Fallout_default.ini in your NV folder, find the line that says bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles and make sure it is set to 1. It should look like this

bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1

Having the same problem making new NPCs. Changing the INI didn't work. I've heard of clicking "can be all races," and that doesn't work. I've also heard of changing a plugin to a master file and I've downloaded FNVEdit, but how do you use the program to do that?

Note: Checking "all races" works on existing NPCs, but as soon as I change the ID, which creates a new NPC, the character ends up with a pale white body (or red and tan in the case of ghouls) regardless of race.

Edited by KazFoxsen

The ini was already checked and checking "can be all races" didn't work either. I have heard about making the esp an esm but i cant find a straight answer as to how to do that. lets hope a solution comes about, and thank you both for the help.

The ini was already checked and checking "can be all races" didn't work either. I have heard about making the esp an esm but i cant find a straight answer as to how to do that. lets hope a solution comes about, and thank you both for the help.

What I do is open up the Fallout Mod Manager and select TESnip from the Tools menu. In TESnip, I open the plug-in that has the Michael Jackson bug and highlight it. Then I select Make esm from the Spells menu in TESNip. Once the plug-in is converted and run as a master, the Michael Jackson bug no longer makes an appearance.

I would point out that the tool davidlallen is talking about is indispensible for a lot of other reasons I can think of as well, even if the overall principle of converting the plug-in to a master to sidestep the Michael Jackson bug is pretty much the same. FNVEdit can be found here:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34703

And the handbook is here:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38413

Of course, I would be very interested in a way to squash the Michael Jackson bug in plug-ins without having to serve them up as master files because masters can be a little fiddly. If you are going to serve your plug-in as a master file, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Changes to object instances already in the game require those object instances to be marked as Persistant references - or the change will not be rendered from the master file.
  2. If you wish to remove object instances already in the game, you must mark them as Initially Disabled and move them out of the way, because if you meagrely delete the instance of the object, it will simply reappear when your master file is loaded.

[EDIT]"when you master file" corrected to possessive; "when your master file"[/EDIT]

Either that (as above) or there is something seriously wrong with the software and tools that are installed on my computer. In any case, I find that these precautions are not necessary when dealing with new or introduced instances of objects. I think that you will find that the FNVEdit handbook explains most of this.

I hope this helps...

Edited by RealmEleven

• 3 weeks later...

More on Master Files, FNVEdit & TESnip

I've been having a play with MasterUpdate and MasterRestore in FNVEdit. I had some problems with some of my NavMesh alterations getting corrupted in the conversion to a master file (using TESnip) - so I wanted to see if FNVEdit could do the job without the added drama. As it turns out, FNVEdit fixed this problem for me, and so it seems to be the better tool for developing masters. Moreover, once you have everything set up, FNVEdit allows you to create a master file or revert back to a standard plug-in with a click of the mouse - which is so much easier, especially if you like to test alterations on the fly (as I do).

Thus, in order to avoid other problems, I'd suggest rolling with DavidLAllen's advice and using FNVEdit when creating masters.

Seeing as FNVEdit allows one to restore a master file back to a standard editable plug-in, I could not resist the temptation to see the white body bug in a restored file - which confirms DavidLAllen's suggestion that the bug is always present in non-master plug-ins. This implies that the white body bug is in the game engine itself, and not in either the GECK nor in any given plug-in.

On the subject of using FNVEdit, it identifies a number of unknown "errors". These are actually flags whose function is yet to be ascertained by FNVEdit. You can uncheck or otherwise switch these flags manually in the View tab of FNVEdit. FNVEdit does have its limitations. If, as your mod gets more complex, the GECK fails to write a portion of the header for certain objects (which are then misplaced directly under the root node), the necessary manual editing to recover the plug-in is not possible in FNVEdit. For something like this, you will need to use TESnip (part of FOMM), and instead of manually entering the missing records, just cut and paste the misplaced object and its GRUP node back in the correct location. Just in case this becomes a problem, there is more detail on these other issues in this thread:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/310206-unknown-errors-with-probable-consequences/

One thing that is useful to be aware of is that the transition from plug-in to master file appears to change the author's name from yours to "Bethesda Game Studios" when the master file is selected in the GECK. However, when reverting back to a non-master plug-in file, the author's identity (as entered) re-emerges. On closer inspection with TESnip, the author name you entered is persistent, and remains recorded in the master file. This is a bug in the GECK, which simply superimposes "Bethesda Game Studios" when presenting this field from a master file, instead of reading and displaying the actual contents. The actual record in the master file tells a different story altogether - so this behaviour is nothing to worry about.