Hov's Hotkey Help plz

FrogmanCU

Hello forum,

After 5 hours of searching I finally decided I need to post to get some help. I played Oblivion years ago and remembered that Hov's hotkeys mod was a must for me. I got a new computer and decided to play Oblivion again, I can finally run the Ultra High graphics.

I can not get Hov's hot key mod to work and it is the only mod I am running. I open obmm, and check Oblivion.esm and Hov's Hotkeys.esp run Oblivion however I see no way to assign hot key past 1-8. I also used to use the wheel mouse to scroll through spells all the time and that is not turned off and I have no idea how to turn it back on despite searching all over the internet and this forum.

Maybe I forgot the trick and which keys I need to hold down or maybe I am doing some thing wrong. Can any on enlighten me as to what I need to do so I can fully utilize this mod. Thank you.

Running - Oblivion Game of the year edition, and Windows 7

Edited by FrogmanCU

And you probably have Oblivion installed in the default location (C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\...). The Microsoft security feature UAC protects programs installed in Program Files from changes due to malware etc. It also stops mods from working when Oblivion is installed there (it won't affect unmodded Oblivion). One of the moderators here bben46 has posted this uninstall/re-install guide if you need to get Oblivion out of UAC's clutches.

You see advice to disable UAC here from time to time. I'm not a big Micro$oft supporter or anything but UAC, though it's a pain in the butt at times and isn't perfect, is not something I'd advise disabling. After it's already affected your Oblivion install just disabling may still not solve your problem (look at many of Hickory's posts about UAC and it's 'ghosting' abilities). The uninstall/re-install guide I linked will help get the job done completely and correctly if you decide to go that route. Edited by Striker879

Thank you again Striker879.

I have done a complete uninstall and reinstall according to the instructions posted in your link. I still can not get this mod to work. I tried another mod "All_Armor" because I could test it really quick in the can since enables you to loot the guard captains armor, and that mod worked just fine.

I really hate to seem like such a Noob but maybe I am just confused on the whole 'bind key' + 'alternate key' thing. The read me does not tell me which keys to press and I only seem to be able to bind a spell or weapon to 1-8 even with the mod enabled. Am I just not pushing the right keys or it the mod really not activated? Is there another key mapping mod you recommend over Hov's mod. Lastly can I edit the .esp file so I can scroll with the wheel mouse (right now all it does is zoom in and out of 3rd person view)

The whole thing just baffles me, I am usually the one helping people figure out how to run games not the one asking clueless things on the forum.

Thanks for all your help

I had a quick look for "Hov's Hotkeys" here on the Nexus but came up blank ... perhaps you downloaded it somewhere else. Have you met all the mod's requirements around things like Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) etc. I should have asked this earlier, but not having the mod's requirements is probably the number two most common reason for mod problems.

Not a problem ... glad I could help. On the upside to missing that at the onset, your Oblivion install is now outside UAC's clutches. Any time you have a problem down the road you've eliminated one of the first troubleshooting steps.

Ok Striker879 this should be my last question\plea for help. I can get the keymod to work but I can never use the wheel mouse to scroll through spells. I have tried the following mods (most from fs2.tesnexus.com or Planet elderscrolls).

Hov's Hotkeys

YetAnotherHotkeyModV1_10-22143

HotkeyCasting_OBSE_v3_5-12244

Enhanced_Hotkeys_2_1_1-34735-2-1-1

All of them let me change my key bindings in different ways but none let me scroll with the wheel mouse or scroll through spells at all. I have basically given up on trying to scroll my spells or even key bind more then eight things at once. I have enable wheel mouse spell scrolling on the ones that have the option to toggle it on/off but that does not seem to have any effect on being able to actually use the wheel mouse.

Edited by FrogmanCU

Problem Solved. Windows 7 would not let properly recognize my razor mouse, I had to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement and then do a firmware update for the mouse. I never even thought of it because it worked fine with Oblivion and mods on my XP machine and even my Mac.