RAM Question

If I add more RAM would my gaming performance increase even if I don't have a graphics card?

From what I've been told, it largely depends upon the game and how old it is.

I recently upgraded my rig to 8 GB RAM, thinking this would solve all my fps lag and stuttering problems and allow me to set all the graphics details to their fullest, but in an older game like Oblivion I was disappointed to discover that I still could not set things to their maximum. I'm told this is due largely to the limitations of my graphics card and the age of the game rather than my RAM.

ITS BETTER TO UPGRADE YOUR HARD DRIVE TO A RAPTOR THIS WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFRENCE IT COST ME A FORTUNE TO DISCOVER THIS THEY SAY PUTT MORE RAM ARE A BIGER GPU IN THIS IS NOTT TRUE ,MOST OLD GAMES DONT USE MORE THAN 4GB RAM ,ALL YOU NEED TO RUN OBLIVION IS 8GB RAM GT460 GPU A RAPTOR HARD DRIVE AND HALF GOOD CPU,IVE JUST INSTALLED A FAST SDD THIS HAS MADE VERY LITTLE DIFFRENCE IN GAME PLAY ,ON THE SYSTEM MENTIONED IM RUNNING QARLS TP3 AND THE HIGH LOD ,MOD ON FULL GRAPHICS THAT INCLUDES SELF SHADOWS ECT,THERES NOW STUTTERING IN FRAME RATE ATT ALL,MY RIG IS EX58 AUD7 I7930 ONE RAPTOR AND SSD 258MAG 8GB DDR2 GT460, I RECOMEND THIS MOTHERBOARD IF YOU BUILD YOUR OWN VERY UPGRADEABIL YOU CAN GO FROM A CHEAP I7 TO THE I7 X SERIES ,HOPE SUM USE TO ANY ONE

Okay, some answers here are true, some are very far from it. Some games are CPU intensive, others may be GPU intensive. This can be found out via Google. Minecraft is no where near a graphics intensive game and relies on raw processing power through CPU and memory [RAM].

A note about the computer not turning on with 3GB of memory: Memory works in sets when more than one chip is used. The optimal setup is to have all the sticks of memory have the same power [ 3x1GB for 3GB instead of 1x1 and 1x2 for 3GB ]. This is why your computer did not start, it's not setup to that style. This is taken even further as to dual/triple/hexa channel memory. I use a Rampage III Extreme motherboard which is a triple channel board. So I can't do just two sticks of memory, it must be just 1 stick alone, or 3 stick sets. I utilize all 6 slots on my mother board with 2 sets of 3x2 memory. 3 chips, 2GB each, 2 sets means 6 chips at 2GB resulting with 12GB of memory. Dual channel boards that are current, generally have 4 slots for memory AKA DIMM slots. This would be set up with either 1/2/4 sticks of memory.

As far as you not having a graphics card in your computer, that is not true. If there is no graphics card that is removable, then the graphics processing unit is considered 'on board' meaning it's built into the motherboard. These units tend to be weak in power and are used for the most minimal of tasks.

EDIT: To the above poster, your CAPSLOCK button needs to be removed from your keyboard. Very hard to read your post without getting a headache.

Edited by DGVictus

Ram: A 32 but windows system can only use 3.25G of ram. However, it can only use 2G of that for any one process UNLESS it has the large File Aware bit set for that process ( that's what the 4G 'fix' is). But it still will NOT recognize any more than the 3.25 limit. - And some of that MUST be used for the Operating system and overhead processes. Putting any more in will not change anything as any more than that will just be ignored by the Windows Operating System.

As for using 3 - 1 gig sticks of ram, that is going to depend on your motherboard. Some will work with odd numbers of Ram sticks and others will not. And as for matching the value (all 1G or all 2 G) My older 32 bit Xp system was run (at various times) with 2-512 M sticks, 1 -1G AND 2-512M Sticks, 2-1G plus 2 512M sticks, 3- 1G sticks and finally with 4-1G sticks (that maxed out what my motherboard could handle. My current Win7 64 bit has 4-2G sticks and ram sticks must be installed in matching value pairs. It has a maximum capability of 12G - but that is the motherboaed and not Win7x64 which can handle up to 192G.

Most ppl are fine with 4g more is not always better as programs will only use X amount of ram, most of the newer motherboards that support 16 to 24g of ram were more aimed for rendering/video processing as they need the ram. Gaming your not using that much, keep in mind that having too much ram with the large module sizes have more latency not many ppl think about that when they pop a bunch in. Best way to find out if you need to upgrade Just check out your windows task manager, do your multi tasking run all of the programs you normally run you also want a bit of head room to spare. If your running around low 2g well 4g is more then good..

There is a stock program that comes with a os called msconfig, with this you can manually stop startup programs with also speed up boot time depending on how many programs you stop. Lot of installed program will run silently in the background so if you got a lot you could have a potential large amount of ram being wasted

Edited by Bloodinfested

Okay, some answers here are true, some are very far from it. Some games are CPU intensive, others may be GPU intensive. This can be found out via Google. Minecraft is no where near a graphics intensive game and relies on raw processing power through CPU and memory [RAM].

A note about the computer not turning on with 3GB of memory: Memory works in sets when more than one chip is used. The optimal setup is to have all the sticks of memory have the same power [ 3x1GB for 3GB instead of 1x1 and 1x2 for 3GB ]. This is why your computer did not start, it's not setup to that style. This is taken even further as to dual/triple/hexa channel memory. I use a Rampage III Extreme motherboard which is a triple channel board. So I can't do just two sticks of memory, it must be just 1 stick alone, or 3 stick sets. I utilize all 6 slots on my mother board with 2 sets of 3x2 memory. 3 chips, 2GB each, 2 sets means 6 chips at 2GB resulting with 12GB of memory. Dual channel boards that are current, generally have 4 slots for memory AKA DIMM slots. This would be set up with either 1/2/4 sticks of memory.

As far as you not having a graphics card in your computer, that is not true. If there is no graphics card that is removable, then the graphics processing unit is considered 'on board' meaning it's built into the motherboard. These units tend to be weak in power and are used for the most minimal of tasks.

EDIT: To the above poster, your CAPSLOCK button needs to be removed from your keyboard. Very hard to read your post without getting a headache.

sorry i lost my glasses seamed small at time