Game freezes when I start a new game

JD1

So my game yesterday was working just fine (on Vista) until I installed a mod which pretty much played with my original files I guess because my game kept crashing in-game after that even with the mod deactivated, I did a test with BOSS and TES4Edit I had a few reds so I deactivated them all but my game never came back to normal.

So I uninstalled Oblivion with the uninstall on the launcher and removed my saved games folder with the .ini then reinstalled it (GOTYE version)

There my problem starts... I start a new game to make sure everything's fine before installing mods but once i click "YES" after new game, the game/screen freeze, I even waited 10 minutes and nothing happened.

I installed the UOP, deleted registry, reinstalled 2 times, deactivated Nero codecs to make sure it was not a sound problem, without success. :\

I'm seriously out of ideas and I would like to know that someone had this problem before and how it can be solved!

I would really appreciate some help, thank you!

Here's two links to unistall/re-install guides. The first is to bben46's unistall/re-install guide from here at the Nexus and the other to an unofficial technical FAQ at Bethsoft. The DVD uninstall method mentioned in bben46's guide and explained in more detail in the FAQ link combined with registry cleaning (CCleaner is a good choice) gives you your best chance at a clean start.

Thanks Striker but as you were writing this I was doing exactly this, found this link an hour ago :laugh: but sadly it still doing the same thing, now after CCleaner cleaned my registry (again) , disk check on D hard drive, plus a defragmentation... I doubt this is a leftover or corrupted file, there were no more files belonging to Oblivion when I reinstalled it.

Since the music is not working on the menu (which is very weird imo since all mp3 are in the folder and working well) I thought maybe it was a music or sound problem (i.e when the old man starts talking) so I deactivated the music and sound in the .ini (bmusicenabled = 1 to = 0)

No luck still freezing,

Are your sound card drivers up-to-date? I do recall seeing posts here that similar situations to your's came down to sound card issues.

Are your sound card drivers up-to-date? I do recall seeing posts here that similar situations to your's came down to sound card issues.

Yes sound card is up-to-date, I looked around earlier and indeed there are similar situations where main menu music didn't work but they managed to make it work through oblivion.ini and their screen was not freezing, they could start a new game, it seemed more like a music only issue.

You have already mentioned that you've deleted your Oblivion.ini to allow the game to redetect your hardware and rebuild your Oblivion.ini. That's the only other suggestion that I can think of. One caveat on doing that ... make sure it's not your Oblivion_default.ini located in your game install Oblivion directory. The one in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion is the one you're after and exit the game after starting it before changing any settings to get the Oblivion.ini file initialized first.

You have already mentioned that you've deleted your Oblivion.ini to allow the game to redetect your hardware and rebuild your Oblivion.ini. That's the only other suggestion that I can think of. One caveat on doing that ... make sure it's not your Oblivion_default.ini located in your game install Oblivion directory. The one in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion is the one you're after and exit the game after starting it before changing any settings to get the Oblivion.ini file initialized first.

wow you were right I deleted my oblivion.ini again and removed music and sound and it worked, don't ask me why I have no idea. :tongue:

So I can get in the game now, but I have no sound :confused: at least I know it's a sound problem, brings me to the conclusion of a possible codec problem do you agree?

EDIT: I updated some codecs and reactivated my sound in .ini and it works! :) music still not working but doesn't matter as long as I can play it haha, will run music in background.

Thanks for your assistance Striker! :thumbsup:

Edited by JD1

Not a problem, glad to be of some help. What are the details around your sound system (onboard vs sound card etc.)? And thank you for posting details of your solution ... may help 'the next guy'.

Not a problem, glad to be of some help. What are the details around your sound system (onboard vs sound card etc.)? And thank you for posting details of your solution ... may help 'the next guy'.

Hey well I got busy all morning installing my mods again and so far so good. :)

I don't have the best sound card (I build my PC once a year and never bothered with the sound really) but it's always been good and I have a great speakers system... here's details of my sound card;

Oh and I used a program called "InstalledCodec" to look at/activate/deactivate my codecs, it's very well done.

Description: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1988&SUBSYS_104381E1&REV_1004

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ADIHdAud.sys

Driver Version: 6.10.0001.6110 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Date and Size: 1/15/2007 23:41:50, 316928 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: AnalogDevices

HW Accel Level: Basic

Cap Flags: 0x0

Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No