Changing walk animations for NPCs

redeyesandlonghair

Hi, I installed a mod (sensual walks for npcs or something like that) that was supposed to make female npcs walk all sexy. It worked fine for my companions (Kitty and Kawaii) until I installed more mods. I've been making myself crazy turning mods on and off trying to figure this out... then I figured I would ask this here in the hopes that some smart person might rescue me ^.^

So anyways, is there a way using some sort of program (maybe the construction set? naaaaaah) to specifically change an npcs walk animations. I've been looking at them in the construction set, but I can't seem to figure out how to import the sexy walk animation and set that npc to use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ^.^

Put the walk animation file "something.kf" into your meshes\characters\_male\specialanims folder (create it, if it doesn't exist yet).

Then open the companion mod with CS, and for both companions go to the NPC -> animation tab. Find and select "something.kf" in the KF window. Save and have fun.

Mods can also overwrite previously installed mods files. Animations have to be specifically named if they're in the Oblivion\Data\characters\_male for the game to use them without an esp (so that all NPCs use them). If Mod A changes walkforward.kf to it's sexy walk and then you install Mod B that also wants to change walkforward.kf to it's idea of a sexy walk, the last mod you installed will win (regardless of load order). Mods like fore's NoMaaM BBB Animation Replacer for example changes many of the default fighting and riding animations with ones that are BBB enabled. If I install any mods after I've installed NoMaaM that also change fighting animations I will need to recopy fore's animations into Oblivion\Data\characters\_male and overwrite, unless I want to keep the new animations (which isn't going to happen ... fore's animations rock).

I extract mods into their own folder in my OblivionDownloads folder I created so I can examine their contents and see what may get overwritten before I install. I also keep notes of what what I've replaced in Mod B with Mod A or C, especially with animations (where you can mix and match almost to your hearts content). When you get into the Oblivion\Data\characters\_male\specialanims (where fore was talking about I believe) you can really start to personalize your Oblivion.

Put the walk animation file "something.kf" into your meshes\characters\_male\specialanims folder (create it, if it doesn't exist yet).

Then open the companion mod with CS, and for both companions go to the NPC -> animation tab. Find and select "something.kf" in the KF window. Save and have fun.

Your directions were so simple, and yet I'm still doing something wrong!

So I followed your directions, and the "something.kf" (not actual name lol) was there on the list. I double clicked it and it had an X instead of a check mark, then I saved. Is that all I have to do? Will it work if I do that?

Because I did that and went in the game and the walk hadn't changed, so I went back into the construction whatever and saw that it had un-X'd the box. What did I screw up?

The selection box will get a black X when you double left click on kf files in the Animation tab in the Construction Set if they have been placed in the Oblivion\Data\meshes\characters\_male\specialanims folder. If you scroll down you'll see a number of kf files that have red check marks in the selection box. Those are the files located in Oblivion\Data\meshes\characters\_male (if they are replacer files like fore's NoMaaM) or located in the Obilivion - Meshes.bsa file in the Oblivion\Data folder if the vanilla kf resources are used. Check that you have the paths to the files exactly right ... that path is hard coded into Oblivion. Edited by Striker879

... Because I did that and went in the game and the walk hadn't changed, so I went back into the construction whatever and saw that it had un-X'd the box. What did I screw up?

When your change doesn't appear in your mod when you reload in CS, then you have a principle problem not related to the animation. You probably have either

- not opened your .esp as "Active File" when you you made the change (and ignored a warning message), or

- installed Oblivion in the default folder "C:\program files" (you can't do that when you use or even make own mods)