Any point in continue with our mod when Fallout 4 is on the way

istfire

You should continue because fallout 4s gecko won't come out till a year after the release

You have no evidence of that, there is no need to just make things up.

Todd Howard has clearly said early 2016.

Yeah because Todd Howard has never lied (Not trying to start an argument, but I just couldn't resist) :devil:

I would take his word on his game over stuff the someone on an internet message board made up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWrgwde7O8

Since you claim to only be 30% done with your mod, and you say it is supposed to be totally massive in scope (30 hours is basically the entire storyline of most videogames) I honestly would not put that huge amount of work into something only a small fraction of people will play.

People will be moving over to the next generation of gaming, you will have at the very extreme minimum 1 person playing New Vegas to every 50 playing Fallout 4 mods.

Wouldn't you rather be the start of something new? Wouldn't you rather spend your time shaping the direction modding moves in this new world of opportunity as opposed to hopping on the tail end of something that is slowly going to die down to a very small niche market?

Having an early mod means potential, endless possibilities of expansion, blazing the trail that others will follow and be inspired by.

I would put my effort into converting anything you can from your 30% into a story that fits Fallout 4, and then focus on making something amazing for a new game, a mod that people will still be playing 3 years from now.

Well it's a dialoge heavy mod, We having this crazy f*#@ing idea of bringing in some old school RPG quest elements. So all dialogs can be converted of course. The NPCs, can maybe be salvaged. But yea i was leaning towards this answer, but still from the point of the GECK release in Fallout 4, its gone take atleast 5-6 months maybe to finish it. Yes we are aiming towards 30 extra hours, we are taking the line from Planescap:torment "What can change the nature of a man" and making a big big quest out of it, with the bioshock element of "would you kindly", those two lines are the biggest influences to the mod

Yeah continue for sure. As stated unless Bethesda does something different the new Geck won't be out for awhile. People will continue to mod FNV as they do FO3 even when FO4 geck does come out. If you are proud of what you guys have done and worked this hard on it to this point, keep going! Show us that labor of love!

Looking forward to it,

Geoff

PS - I'm an idiot too. My PC 2 years ago kaplodedededed! :nuke:

Its more the love for Fallout, Planescape:torment and Bioshock here. We are taking influences from the question "What can change the nature of a man" and the line "Would you kindly" and trying to make something that we would love, and if there are any Fallout fans that like a more RPG dialoge focused quest mod ( Of course there will be battles, well everything is optional). A focus point of the mod is to bring more suffering into the game, well the suffering of loss in the wasteland, with all the raiders and scavangers, NCR, Brotherhood of steel, enclave, Master's army all that, somebody must have lost something that is worse then a nuclear attack.

Yeah continue for sure. As stated unless Bethesda does something different the new Geck won't be out for awhile. People will continue to mod FNV as they do FO3 even when FO4 geck does come out. If you are proud of what you guys have done and worked this hard on it to this point, keep going! Show us that labor of love!

Looking forward to it,

Geoff

PS - I'm an idiot too. My PC 2 years ago kaplodedededed! :nuke:

Its more the love for Fallout, Planescape:torment and Bioshock here. We are taking influences from the question "What can change the nature of a man" and the line "Would you kindly" and trying to make something that we would love, and if there are any Fallout fans that like a more RPG dialoge focused quest mod ( Of course there will be battles, well everything is optional). A focus point of the mod is to bring more suffering into the game, well the suffering of loss in the wasteland, with all the raiders and scavangers, NCR, Brotherhood of steel, enclave, Master's army all that, somebody must have lost something that is worse then a nuclear attack.

I have been working for almost a year on a huge mod. I plan to keep working on it mostly because I am enjoying working on it. I may be the only one who ever plays it, but that's fine with me.

From what I have seen of Fallout 4, I may continue modding FNV and may not mod Fallout 4 much at all. This is for several reasons.

1. Fallout 4 has a voiced player, and since you don't have access to the voice actor, you won't be able to make your own conversations. Well, you will, but you have a choice of either a silent player voice that doesn't match the rest of the game, or you put in your own voice that doesn't match the rest of the game. I personally find both options to be very annoying.

2. Fallout 4 seems to be placing a lot of emphasis on power armor combat. I personally hate power armor. My enjoyment of Fallout comes from scraping by in a harsh environment with whatever you can scrounge. I'm much more into role play than combat, and I like the Mad Max style of things when you don't have good weapons and armor. It makes the game more fun and challenging. My first thought when seeing the power armor animation in the Fallout 4 video (where the player steps into the armor and has it close around them) was hey, that's really cool, but I really hope I don't have to use power armor in that game. I really hated being practically forced into power armor to join the fight with Liberty Prime in FO3, too. I was happy in my tattered old vault suit, using crappy junk weapons that I scraped out of the wastelands.

3. Fallout 4 has much better graphics and modeling. While that's a good thing for the game, my own modeling and texturing skills are mediocre at best. I can get away with a bit of clumsy modeling in FNV, but compared to the higher quality models of Fallout 4, my stuff is going to stick out like an ugly sore thumb.

4. The existing mod that I am working on is basically eastern California and western Nevada. The idea is that you can walk from New Vegas all the way up to Klamath Falls. The mod currently has two world spaces, one that goes from Indian Springs (just north of where the existing FNV world ends) up to just north of Tonopah, NV, and goes far enough west to include the Owen Valley in California, where I placed Shady Sands and several NCR settlements. The second world space goes from just north of this first world space, includes New Reno, parts of California up to Redding and slighty beyond, and continues up to Klamath Falls, and basically contains the "Big Circle" area from the original Fallout 1 and 2 (New Reno, Gecko, the Den, etc). Once I finish all of this, I'd like to go westward from FNV, and have a worldspace that has the Hub and Junktown, and maybe expand eastward into Arizona as well and have a huge Legion territory. So basically, I've got enough to do to keep me busy for another year or two. And then, if I still want to continue, I can expand into other areas. Will anyone besides me end up playing this mod? Maybe not. But I'll enjoy it.

5. I'm probably going to wait until the DLCs are released before I buy Fallout 4. If you are among the first to buy the game, and you buy each DLC as it is released, you are basically punished by buying things in the most expensive way possible. It's the people who don't immediately support the game and wait for the DLC bundles that get rewarded with cheaper prices. That also means that by the time I start playing Fallout 4, a lot of bugs will be fixed, and folks will have hopefully made some good mods that I can use.

Anyway, that's my reasons for continuing to mod FNV.

Personally, I think it depends heavily on the story of the mod... if you are really concerned on the "Bang" factor and the story fits, may be wise to just delay the mod and w8 for F4.

From everything I heard, F4 is basically a enhanced version of Skyrim CK, so you can, MAYBE, have some kind of "draft" prepared already for when the geck come out... if not, at least you have enough time to polish the story.

While I'm sure many people will continue to play NV, me included, you said you want to "go in with a bang" and, lets face it, all attention will be on F4.

The voiced protagonist will be a problem initially but I already saw some people trying to impersonate both Brian and Courtney voices based on interviews they gave, so who know... maybe it end up not being a such huge problem after all. Besides, a lot of people already speculate about muting the protagonists anyway.

Edited by avallanche

Hello nexus!

I have been creating mods for myself for awhile now, minor tweeks a few major, quests, npcs, battles and things like this.

But lately i been working on a MAJOR quest mod, that is looking at atleast 1000 + custom dialoge voiced and more dialoge is still being written, but me and my team have been worried abit since this was to be our first mod on the nexus ever and we wanted to go in with a bang. But now that Fallout 4 is comming out some of us is getting the feeling that there is no point in continue with the mod and wait for Fallout 4 and made do something there.

Our hopes for the mod so far is to in the end land on:

1800 custom dialoge lines that are voiced

30+ hours of gameplay

What the Quest mod is about is abit of a secret BUT we are major fans of planescape torment, bioshock 1, for players who know these games we hope that it brings some insight into what the quest mod might be about. Free to specualate. The current progress of the mod is around 30%, currently voicing everything takes abit of time and i s*** you not one of my teammates computor went up in flames (No joke he is a idiot).

So is there a point in continue with the mod or is Fallout 4 the future and Fallout New Vegas will be forgoten in time ?

(We ask because we are not up to the date with the modding community or the community in anyway. We have basicly modded for ourself )

When FO4 is released, it will be so quiet in the older game forums that you'll be able to hear crickets for awhile.
There are a subset of people that move on to a new game and never look back. but many people new to Fallout will start playing the older games. Many people that love the old games will still mod/play them. There are people that move on then come back. If you're looking to come in with a 'bang' - well you may be a few years too late. But if you like the game and enjoy modding it then continue with it. If you wait till FO4 then the only thing from your project you will be able to use will be the sound files - everything else will be start over - scripts, assets, plugins, everything.
We are still busting our asses on Project Brazil and will continue on it till it's in a finished state next year.

Hello nexus!

I have been creating mods for myself for awhile now, minor tweeks a few major, quests, npcs, battles and things like this.

But lately i been working on a MAJOR quest mod, that is looking at atleast 1000 + custom dialoge voiced and more dialoge is still being written, but me and my team have been worried abit since this was to be our first mod on the nexus ever and we wanted to go in with a bang. But now that Fallout 4 is comming out some of us is getting the feeling that there is no point in continue with the mod and wait for Fallout 4 and made do something there.

Our hopes for the mod so far is to in the end land on:

1800 custom dialoge lines that are voiced

30+ hours of gameplay

What the Quest mod is about is abit of a secret BUT we are major fans of planescape torment, bioshock 1, for players who know these games we hope that it brings some insight into what the quest mod might be about. Free to specualate. The current progress of the mod is around 30%, currently voicing everything takes abit of time and i s*** you not one of my teammates computor went up in flames (No joke he is a idiot).

So is there a point in continue with the mod or is Fallout 4 the future and Fallout New Vegas will be forgoten in time ?

(We ask because we are not up to the date with the modding community or the community in anyway. We have basicly modded for ourself )

When FO4 is released, it will be so quiet in the older game forums that you'll be able to hear crickets for awhile.
There are a subset of people that move on to a new game and never look back. but many people new to Fallout will start playing the older games. Many people that love the old games will still mod/play them. There are people that move on then come back. If you're looking to come in with a 'bang' - well you may be a few years too late. But if you like the game and enjoy modding it then continue with it. If you wait till FO4 then the only thing from your project you will be able to use will be the sound files - everything else will be start over - scripts, assets, plugins, everything.
We are still busting our asses on Project Brazil and will continue on it till it's in a finished state next year.

What i mean with going in "With a bang" is that our first public mod is not gone be a a modifed base weapon but something bigger

Since you claim to only be 30% done with your mod, and you say it is supposed to be totally massive in scope (30 hours is basically the entire storyline of most videogames) I honestly would not put that huge amount of work into something only a small fraction of people will play.

People will be moving over to the next generation of gaming, you will have at the very extreme minimum 1 person playing New Vegas to every 50 playing Fallout 4 mods.

Wouldn't you rather be the start of something new? Wouldn't you rather spend your time shaping the direction modding moves in this new world of opportunity as opposed to hopping on the tail end of something that is slowly going to die down to a very small niche market?

Having an early mod means potential, endless possibilities of expansion, blazing the trail that others will follow and be inspired by.

I would put my effort into converting anything you can from your 30% into a story that fits Fallout 4, and then focus on making something amazing for a new game, a mod that people will still be playing 3 years from now.

Well it's a dialoge heavy mod, We having this crazy f***ing idea of bringing in some old school RPG quest elements. So all dialogs can be converted of course. The NPCs, can maybe be salvaged. But yea i was leaning towards this answer, but still from the point of the GECK release in Fallout 4, its gone take atleast 5-6 months maybe to finish it. Yes we are aiming towards 30 extra hours, we are taking the line from Planescap:torment "What can change the nature of a man" and making a big big quest out of it, with the bioshock element of "would you kindly", those two lines are the biggest influences to the mod

To make a proper 30 hour of content mod, pre production is going to take months. Most of the work for your mod seems like it comes from writing, writing, more writing, and then some voice acting.

You don't need a Fallout 4 geck to write, all you need is a pen and some paper.

I would say get a proper design document written with a clear plan and detailed and accurate goals. Maybe set up a team website, get voice acting recorded and such. Then start talking to people like me who do custom models and textures, and start getting some custom props and armors designed to support your mod.