Oblivion suddenly freezing?

davidline

I think that I've narrowed it down to some sort of sound issue, as when I load into the game, or my latest save, I'm at the Priory of the Nine, and strangely enough there's no music going on, especially when I'm at the main menu where you can open a new game, thus right now I'm installing the Realtek HD audio driver update, as well updating my DivX codec, and I'm making a "Clean" full install of my video driver up to 267, which is thus far working fine with all of my other games.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the help guys, I highly appreciate it.

Alright, still no progress.

I have installed 2 codec packs, and a new Realtek HiDef audio driver (It definitley mixed my mic for raiding in wow) but it didn't help Oblivion. I have now uninstalled both packs, and I tried to cancel any background Windows 7 fancy stuff off, and run it in compatibility for Windows XP S/V/P 2.

Hell just for a kick I even did a full uninstall of everything, and installed it right back up with the same exact problem, but it definitley has to do something with audio. And I already run a scan on my computer, as well as did anything I could for this laptop...

Did you try the suggested:

Disable all additional audio effects or enhancements.

The only machine that I have using the Realtek drivers is my laptop (not my Oblivion machine), but on it I see tabs for Speakers, Digital Output and Microphone (mine's an old version ... Audio Driver version 6.0.1.5953 and Audio Codec ALC268 so your's may be different). The Speaker and Digital Output tabs both have a sub-tab for Sound Effects, with an option for None.

Damn, still nothing.

I've been dwelling in the world of Codec packs, playing around with ALL of my codecs, different codecs, and I just fully patched up my K-lite after restoring it to default. And yes I have already fully uninstalled my DivX and K-lite, and nothing happened, so I just tried K-lite again. I got CCleaner, cleaned my registry/fixed some stuff, cleaned up my stuff. Checked for viruses. And now I'm just simply lost, I also got InstalledCodecs on my computer and played around with that, nothing.

I definitley KNOW FOR SURE this is my codecs because it seems that this is an actual frequent problem that's been fixed with a codec pack, but not in my case, which doesn't make any to me at all. The problem is the 5-10 loss of Keyboard/Mouse in game.

Well...anyone got any clue as to where to go now? And man am I tired for going through so much just for this game, jeez...

Edit: Update, I have performed a FULLY clean reinstall of the game, properly following the guide of backing up my files, cleaning my registry, cleaning the computer, defragmenting, using the in the CD installer to Uninstall and reinstall, I have done everything that I've heard about this game thus far, and I'm about to lose all hope with this game and go get a 360 copy.

Edit #2: To answer your question, Yes I have canceled every possible audio enhancment that exists on my computer, and I have tested with all/single ones canceled and nothing works. I've even unplugged my headphones and tried it with built in laptop speakers with canceled enhancement, nothing.

Edited by davidline

What version of Realtek audio does your machine have? Reading your above posts I don't think this is your case, but in the past when I've let Microsoft Update do hardware driver updates on my machines it's caused grief. I always download from the manufacturer's site and install myself now. Looking on the Realtek site I couldn't see a link to older drivers, but I do know somebody who has some older ALC268 drivers (if they may be of some value for troubleshooting purposes). :whistling: Edited by Striker879

My current Realtek driver is the one I personally installed, it's version 6.0.1.6316.

I never let windows update anything for me, I can usually notice when it's time for updates when the random pixelation occurs. Or I do check every 3-4 months for important driver updates.

My thinking was more along the lines of uninstall the Realtek drivers and codecs and try an older version (if you happen to have saved any old ones). My ALC268 Realtek backups would only work if your machine also uses the ALC268 sound chipset. Normally newer is better (hence the oft seen "install the latest drivers" advice), on rare cases the opposite might apply.

What exactly are you describing when you say 'random pixelation'. Are you talking about the 'A-Bomb' that affects games after a certain number of hours? Here's a link for you to check out to see if it has any bearing on your situation.

• 2 months later...

Alright, hello btw. I'm pretty new to Oblivion I got my hands on it once couple of years ago but I couldn't afford to play it then, so grabbed a GoTYE and patched it up to full, my friend pointed me out to some okay mods, well I only use one really which is the Frostcrag Spire.

Now what happened recently is that my graphics driver just quit on me, so I had to do a couple of reinstalls, repatches, and everything so that it would be fine, well I finally got the random pixels under control today, but until now I could regularly play the game, with absolutley 0 crashes or bugs what so ever, and I would play for straight hours. But now that I finally settled on the graphics driver my Oblivion game freezes! I was so mad, I did a couple of more reinstalls, but it would continue despite switching resolutions, graphics options, nothing would work. It would play for exactly 3 minutes, and suddenly freeze no matter what I do. So I switched my resolution, again, but to a lower Widescreen, and now it doesn't just freeze, the animations are still going on?!?!? wtf?!?

What I mean by that is that I'm usually just doing my thing in my inventory, or when I'm speaking to someone (Note I counted to 3 minutes, that's when it still freezes), everytime it catches me in that situation, and the wierdest thing is in the inventory my character continues the animation?!?!? but I can't move the mouse or do anything, there's no sound either, and when I'm talking to someone their eyes keep rolling like normally, as well as other face functions. So I'm really just beating my head against the wall now, after reading multiple websites full of the "Regular" problems that people have, none have the symptoms myne do.

Please help out a newb! and a veteran player from the good old days of Morrowind, god I wished my CD wasn't killed by how much I played that game...

I wanted to say that I am having this issue too. I have had the game since it has come out and I have several mods, and have not had an issue with my video driver, and I didn't start having trouble with the game until recently. My question to you is, "Did you get a newer game recently that made you upgrade your Direct X to 9.0c?" That is the only thing I can think of. I got the Witcher 2 recently and it upgraded my direct X and low and behold Oblivion takes away control after being in the game for about 30 to 90 seconds. I am going to see if I can roll back to Direct X 9.0b. If I can and that fixes the problem, I will let you know.

With Directx 9.0c, it's well worth downloading the administrator release version from Microsoft and installing that, as sometimes the version on game discs does some odd things. If you save the file you can always use it again if another game mucks it up too. Edited by MarkInMKUK