Is Oblivion Supposed to Look Like This?

zepplinne

They built Oblivion wrong. They should have built it like Morrowind where everything was usually foggy and you could only see a few hundred meters. That way anything you could see was fully rendered and things did not pop into existence when you got close.

They built Oblivion wrong. They should have built it like Morrowind where everything was usually foggy and you could only see a few hundred meters. That way anything you could see was fully rendered and things did not pop into existence when you got close.

They built it that way to generate hype, the huge draw distance and massive landscape was a fairly unique feature at the time.

My Oblivion looked nothing like that? :L

Mind you that is because I had every setting up full as soon as I installed it, even before I started a new game, the settings were right up. The same with all game's I get.

Now, I use load's of different graphic mod's, and I especially like OBGE (Oblivion Graphics Extender), however I did un-install that a while back.

Mind you that is because I had every setting up full as soon as I installed it, even before I started a new game, the settings were right up. The same with all game's I get.

Now, I use load's of different graphic mod's, and I especially like OBGE (Oblivion Graphics Extender), however I did un-install that a while back.

Like I said, everything is at FULL quality

Zepplinne, I hate to disappoint you, but you've been had by Bethesda. We all have, except those of us that think this game is well designed out of the box. :down:

Oblivion was designed for the XBOX 360. That's the state of video games today. Console games sell better.

And what's even worse than that is they rushed it for the release date. That's why you'll get things like, well, everything that's lame about this game is due to them rushing it.

You can rescue it though. This website has all the user-generated content you'll need to fix this game. Why bother? Well because the formula is so good. This game has way more potential than Bethesda knew what to do with.

The above mentioned graphics mods are the first place you'll probably want to start. One word of warning: This game only utilizes one processor core. i7 what?

So are the mods any good? Well, just as an example, the famous Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, which is practically essential because it fixes a number of bad design choices, was designed by a man who is now working for Bethesda. He caught their eye, they listened to his opinions on video game design, and made the right decision. He was part of the dev team for Fallout New Vegas.

Yeah, the mods own.

Edited by Megatarius

Like I said, everything is at FULL quality

Tbh, I dont remember it looking like that. :/ It probably did but i just forgot. >,>

;)

Here's an excerpt from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide Oblivion.ini tweaking section;

Update 2: The following graphics variable was added as of the 1.2 Patch:

bLandscapeBlend=1 - If set to the default of 1, it provides smoother blending of distant LOD textures with closer detail textures as you approach objects/terrain. This setting should be left enabled, as it prevents the previously unrealistic way in which distant textures went from being very blurry to suddenly becoming sharp and distinct as you approached them. It should also result in less dramatic loading pauses as you move around.

Pop-in is going to happen regardless of the mods or textures you use. There is NO way to get rid of it, period. You can tweak the ini to increase the draw distance to the point where you wouldn't notice pop-in, but if you do that, the game will start sucking memory like a Hoover and you'll pretty much crash every 30 seconds even on the latest hardware. Oblivion wasn't designed to be able to use the computing capability that's out there today. Your computer may be a Ferrari but the game still only uses Kia power, and setting the draw distance high enough to eliminate pop-in can NOT be done on Kia power.

Pop-in is about my only big complaint left with this game. I've modded out everything else that was less than perfect. Normally it isn't too bad, but it gets noticable if you're in a flat grassy area and walking towards somewhere with trees, which happens frequently traveling the ring roads around the IC. All you can do is ignore it and remind yourself that this is still one of the best damn games on the market, despite its age.

Pop-in is going to happen regardless of the mods or textures you use. There is NO way to get rid of it, period. You can tweak the ini to increase the draw distance to the point where you wouldn't notice pop-in, but if you do that, the game will start sucking memory like a Hoover and you'll pretty much crash every 30 seconds even on the latest hardware.

I don't know about that, I have a fairly low end machine, and I notice no difference on resource usage between a short draw distance and a long one. In my opinion, a long one is better because then I only have to wait for stuff to draw in like every 20-30 minutes; as opposed to everytime I turn around.